Introductory Post: Alan Peat.

AlanPeat

Introductory Post: Alan Peat.

Post by AlanPeat » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Hello folks!
My name is Alan Peat; 55 and semi-retired with the new challenge of learning classical guitar in Biddulph, Staffordshire UK.
I play trumpet/cornet to Grade 8 standard (passed with distinction way back in 1981) but other than reading music there have been few transferable skills from the world of brass so it’s quite a challenge...but that’s a large part of the fun.
I’ve been taking lessons since Feb 2019 and am using both Noad’s Method (Solo Guitar Playing 1) and Scott Tennant’s ‘Basic Classical Guitar’ (Book 2)
I have two classical guitars:
An Alvarez Yairi CY-115 (1979) Limited edition (1929-79) Number 351 of 600 made
A rather beaten up guitar by Ryoji Matsuoka - probably an M20 but the label is indistinct

I’m interested in the history of guitars generally and also the history of Japanese guitars.
That’s about it. Other than guitars my wife and I walk a lot and rescue old cats. The two that can hear don’t seem keen on my guitar playing but the deaf cat is perfectly happy with it.
Best wishes to all
Alan

George Crocket

Re: Introductory Post: Alan Peat.

Post by George Crocket » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:43 pm

Hello Alan. Welcome to the forum. Your experience with brass may prove more useful than you think, especially if/when you play with others?

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Since you have already posted two messages you can access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

AlanPeat

Post by AlanPeat » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Many thanks for that quick response - regarding the trumpet, my embouchure is a little rusty but the classical guitar is progressing - I’m managing at least an hour a day and loving the challenge.
I’ll visit the ‘Welcome Page’ now.
Many thanks
Alan

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi Alan

Welcome to Delcamp. Now you have registered you will be able to see the pictures of Japanese guitars in the We who love... thread. This site takes a little getting used to as there are lots of sub-forums. There is a section on strings where you might get a better response to your question about which strings to use on your Yairi.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

AlanPeat

Post by AlanPeat » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi Derek
Great to make contact on here and even better to meet in person recently! The site is rather large in scope so will gradually make my way with it! Looking forward to another meeting soon and thanks for the lend of the magazines - really useful!
Off to Northumberland on Sunday then France. I’ve bought S travel guitar so one always with me, even on the train!
P.S. You mentioned a post on (older) beginners - do you have the link?
Best wishes
Alan

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=128553

I hope the above link works. It is the first time I have tried to provide one.

One thing I find useful is to look up New Posts, which is under Quick Links, to see what topics are current.

As you are fond of walking, Chris would never forgive me if I failed to plug the Bollington Walking Festival which is on during the last week of September. Two of the walks are already sold out. Most of the walks are free. Lat year Chris and I led a walk which started by heading across the Toddbrook Dam which nearly collapsed a couple of weeks ago. So, if you want adventure, you know where to come.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

AlanPeat

Post by AlanPeat » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:25 am

Hi Derek
Just seen this...forgive the delay in replying. I’ve just been sorting through the diary with Julie this morning and the last week of Sept is, sadly, not feasible. We get back from France on the 24th and am having first guitar lesson for a couple of months on the 26th then down to Rutland for a job. The week after I’m in London then Durham BUT I’m around the week after if you’d like to catch up - either here in Biddulph or in Bollington. I can do either the 17th or 18th October. If either is possible let me know which and your preferred time. If you are coming here I’ll send full details of how to reach us nearer the time.
I’m aware I’ve had your magazines for some time. Relevant sections now copied so can give them in person when we meet or give to Tony on the 26th...or post them. Again, let me know.
It’s a real shame about the walking festival - hopefully next year. All well here and enjoying my hour a day of guitar
All best to you
Alan

Return to “Introduce yourself”