Greetings from CT (for the moment)

C-Squared

Greetings from CT (for the moment)

Post by C-Squared » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:51 am

Hello from CT! Yes for the moment as we may not be staying here for much longer, but I'll get to that.
Been a musician for over 40+ years in some way shape or form. Growing up I played various band instruments including trumpet, flute, clarinet, tenor sax, eventually setting on percussion for a few years. First few bands I played in as a kid I was on drums. When I finally got my hands on a guitar that was pretty much it. While mostly electrics and deeply rooted into the blues rock era of the time (Cream, Zeppelin, Free, Hendrix, and Especially got hooked on the early Allman Bros) my taste for music always expanded. For electrics I've been a Les Paul guy forever.

With acoustics I've always had at least one and I have always tried to get some skills with fingerstyle. Always a steel string or a 12 string and did have a dobro for a bit. That was till about 17 years ago. Was in a horrible car accident that left me laid up and having to learn to move and function again. At this point in time, seriously was reevaluating some priorities in life. First thing I did when I was released to drive again on my own was to go to the local CC and sign up for some actual music courses. My music reading was terrible despite playing multiple instruments, and after 25 years of performing, writing, and in some cases "teaching" others felt like I should actually learn a few things that I was afraid to ask, or usually had no one to ask.

I met Dr Gard, Dr Peterson, and Joe Beck. I also met the woman who would become my wife. Dr Gard taught me composition and conducting. Dr Peterson taught me Theory and Ear Training/Discipline. Joe taught guitar, and life. After my first semester in I knew I had done the right thing. Joe was an amazing musician, deeply rooted in jazz and contemporary, at which time I really knew nothing about. The second semester we changed things up. I bought my first nylon string and we spent the semester in Carcassi, Bach, and the Pumping Nylon Book had just come out and we worked on some stuff in that.

Since those days they faculty encouraged me to actually do a lot of teaching, which I thoroughly enjoyed for almost the last 15 years. I didn't stick with the classical technique but I had enough to get through some performances and to get some of students feet wet at which time if they wanted to get deeper into it I would refer them to another teacher. To be fair when I told Joe I wanted to study classical we tried to refer me to another teacher, but I had already developed a good relationship, didn't want to lose that.

This year, life is about to evolve again. Any day now my wife and I are expecting our first child. Long road to get here. Last week after talking to my wife a lot about this, picked up another classical guitar, a Yamaha 1200. I've had several over the years but since they would get utilized so sporadically I would sell or trade. The last one was actually a wondering playing and sounding Cordoba. I came home from work one day and found the bridge had popped off. Apparently this happens a lot so when it was replaced through warranty I immediately sold it. That was about 3 years ago.

I want to be able to play for the child and steel string acoustics can be loud, boomy, and a lot of finger noise. Plus it was an excuse to buy another guitar. The yamaha is very nice and sounds we balanced. It's not as nice as the Ramerez I played, but it was also a third of the price. Not sure if I'm going to keep it. Neck is very wide (measures at 53mm) and I am much more used to my Les Paul or my Breedlove. May go back and look for something closer to a 5mm if I can find one but most seem to be around 52mm or a crossover at 48mm which felt a little cramped.

Anyway, hoping to get some help and offer what knowledge I have.
Cheers!

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings from CT (for the moment)

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:02 pm

Hello C-Squared and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Introduce yourself”