Greetings from Yorkshire, UK

Philip

Greetings from Yorkshire, UK

Post by Philip » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:20 am

Thank you for accepting me into the forum.

I am essentially new to the guitar, having abandoned a previous attempt to learn something over a decade ago because of pressures from work and other commitments. Now retired, I have time to realise what has been a long-held ambition and my first lesson is next week.

I bought a Ramirez SP guitar in 2007, which I re-strung recently with D'Addario EJ45C strings. It seems to have survived its long period of inactivity without problems and I am enjoying getting to grips with it again - in fact, I am already obsessed! After many years of performing professionally as a conductor, organist and pianist, it's an interesting experience finding myself almost back at square one, without that instinctive relationship between notation, action and resultant sound on which to fall back. Hopefully it will come in time, but it's slow going at the moment!

I've already learned much from your various posts - thank you - and I'm looking forward to learning more in the coming months and years. What a boon the internet is - not least for the seemingly endless resource of helpful and enjoyable videos that you and others post.

All best,

Philip
Elementary
Ramirez SP 2007; Tobias Braun (Hauser) 2019

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Greetings from Yorkshire, UK

Post by GeoffB » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:45 am

Hi Philip,

Welcome to the forum! Like you, many of our members have found retirement the ideal time to start or resume the guitar, once the pressures of work and family have finally eased. And, as you say, the availability of resources online to help with that has never been better. I'm glad you've decided to join us and am sure you'll enjoy being part of the forum.

Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Philip

Post by Philip » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:19 am

Many thanks for your swift and encouraging response, Geoff - much appreciated.

I have certainly enjoyed browsing the forum thus far and will read the rules etc., as you suggest. I'm looking forward to exploring the various resources available, which sound like something of a treasure trove!

Best wishes,

Philip
Elementary

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:33 am

Hi Philip,

Welcome to the forum!

Are you using the brown, composite G string from the EJ45C set? If so, I'd recommend looking for an alternative. Ultimately it's a matter of personal taste of course, but a lot of players use a "carbon" 3rd string with nylon 1st and 2nd strings. Lots of discussions about this (and strings in general) here: viewforum.php?f=43

A number of forum members (myself included) are using and recommending a fluorocarbon fishing line made by Seaguar - one of many discussions here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=114018&p=1213591

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Philip

Post by Philip » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:41 am

Hello, James and thank you for this helpful post.

I *am* using the brown, composite G string at the moment, but haven't warmed to the sound it's true and was thinking of trying the nylon string also included in the packet. Using fishing line hadn't occurred to me, though! I shall follow the two links that you have suggested and read with interest.

Philip
Elementary

Return to “Introduce yourself”