Greetings from Mindo, Ecuador!

gary-schiltz

Greetings from Mindo, Ecuador!

Post by gary-schiltz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:15 pm

Around 1970, as a 12 year old Kansas farm boy, I started playing a beat-up old Montgomery Wards classical guitar. I didn't know any better, so I strung it with steel strings. That was fine for long enough to pick out the melody of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" by ear, launching me on a long, enjoyable journey with six strings. The guitar didn't fare so well, soon bending the neck until it was completely unplayable. Thank you, old friend, for your sacrifice. If it's any consolation, I learned from my mistake.

Over the years, I honed my skills on acoustic steel-stringed guitars and classical guitars (mercifully strung with the correct nylon). The thing that I have sorely lacked has always been discipline, especially learning to read music. But instead of putting forth the effort to learn to read (even tablature), I took a perverse pride in being a "by-ear" only player. That, of course, severely limited my ability to progress. Having reached a plateau in my 40's, I got bored with guitar in my 50's.

Well, here I am at 60, retired, with a lot of time on my hands and the dawning realization that life is damned short. So I vowed to give it another shot. I tried a couple of online lesson sites for learning acoustic guitar. Both were good, but neither really felt right. For a variety of reasons, I felt the imperative to learn to read the conventional music notation that I had so long avoided. Since classical guitar instruction stresses music reading, I decided to switch gears to classical. Fortunately, I had kept a decent albeit inexpensive 1970's vintage Yamaha classical guitar.

So, six months ago, I signed up for a Udemy class by a very good (in my opinion) classical guitar teacher, Hani Gamal. The first few few lessons of sight reading and playing simple exercises (much simpler than my "by ear" ability) gave me more satisfaction than any guitar playing than I'd done for decades. I finished the first series of lessons, am now halfway though the second series, and feel a new direction. So here I am (again - I was a member a few years ago, but didn't stick with it). Let the fun begin!

simonm

Re: Greetings from Mindo, Ecuador!

Post by simonm » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:53 pm

Welcome to the forum.

- Kansas to Mindo must be quite a change.

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- To get started please take a look at the new member info here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36537

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

Regards,

Simon

Return to “Introduce yourself”