Introduction

RHinAnnArbor

Introduction

Post by RHinAnnArbor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Hello,
I’m an amateur guitarist in Michigan an I think I can benefit from being a member here. I’ve played guitar of some sort since I was 12, but switched to classical 4 years ago when I retired. I started off with 2 different teachers over the 1st 3 years, but due to an illness in the family I stopped the lessons to assist in their care.

I look forward to learning and sharing a great deal here.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Introduction

Post by GeoffB » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:29 pm

Hello RH,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

RHinAnnArbor

Post by RHinAnnArbor » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:26 am

Thanks Geoff. I will have a look at the page referred to above. Right now I’m not clear on what will qualify as my 2nd message, but I’m sure it will be figured out.

There are many possibilities and opportunities on this site for me to improve my playing skills and I’m exciting to be joining.

Currently I’m having an issue with the tone on my D string. There seems to be a buzz, or the overtones are stronger than the fundamental tone and I am hoping to start a post to get some ideas on possible corrections for this.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:17 am

That post did qualify as your second, so you've passed the first hurdle. :wink:

D strings seem to have caused more than their fair share of problems here over the years. It isn't the sort of thing that is easily found by the forum search tool (since it would ignore "D" as being too short), but you can find a number of possibly relevant discussions using Google search and putting in the following search string exactly as written below:
"d string" site:classicalguitardelcamp.com
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:10 am

Welcome!
If you haven't already done so, be sure to check out the Classical Guitar Society of Michigan.
There is a CGSM website, and monthly Sunday afternoon meetings are at the Plymouth District Library "next door" to Ann Arbor.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

RHinAnnArbor

Post by RHinAnnArbor » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:59 pm

Thanks Geoff and Cathy! Brian Roberts was my teacher before I had to stop taking lessons because of caring for a sick relative. He is pretty much in charge of CGSoM it seems. I have attended a few times. I also met withMatt Chaffin a couple of times when guitar shopping. He makes some beautiful instruments and uses only hand tools and traditional techniques as I recall.

I will conduct a search concerning my ‘D string” issues. And look forward to enjoying my new membership!

Return to “Introduce yourself”