Introduction:From Connecticut

Ron6954

Introduction:From Connecticut

Post by Ron6954 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:47 pm

I have been studying classical guitar since retiring three years ago, taking weekly private lessons, except summers, in NYC.
I first discovered guitar as a child, first as a plastic toy, then as a succession of acoustics, and then, as a teenager, in a number of electrics...including Fender Telecaster made in America, and a Rickenbacher 360 Fireglo that I still have. I had a garage band growing up and spent way too much time in basements and garages with friends--one on drums, one on bass, one on another guitar -- the usual Beatles configuration. None of us could sing a lick of course. I never took a lesson, played largely "by ear" and eventually became dissatisfied with just chording and picking out lead-guitar riffs. Regrettably, I sold the Telecaster when I went away to college. I didn't have a guitar again until my second graduate school program,
when my classmates, discovering both that I played, and that I didn't have a guitar, bought me a steel-string acoustic Yamaha as a wedding present. This got me going again, but I again reached a point of dissatisfaction with what I was able to do and was playing less and less. Then, a few years ago, I found a nearby classical guitar teacher who made house calls and bought a Yamaha GC41 classical on-line for $1,700. My study then was mainly focused on Sor etudes, but I eventually grew dissatisfied with that process as well, and after a year again put study aside for another couple of years. Finally, after retiring, I realized I would need to travel to New York City to find a well-qualified teacher. Fortunately I found one. My progress since has sometimes been painfully slow (no fault of my teacher"s) and is complicated by the physical ailments, like arthritis, that come with age, but I am pretty serious about it and practice every day, sometimes several hours a day, although of course not all at once! During this last period of increasingly serious study I have frequently found myself, at the end of a Google Search on a guitar-related topic, at the Delcamp message board---there is so much useful information on it! I look forward to greater participation as a member.

CathyCate

Re: Introduction:From Connecticut

Post by CathyCate » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:03 am

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

Thanks for sharing the details of your guitar journey, and congratulations on your retirement!

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

You need a second post to have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, to all members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and to be able post your own scores and recordings. After more posts you may apply for access to some higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile. To do this click on the User Control Panel at the upper left, then the Profile tab, then enter the information.

Have fun! and welcome to Delcamp forum! :bye:
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Return to “Introduce yourself”