Greetings from Indianapolis

Lawrence

Greetings from Indianapolis

Post by Lawrence » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:21 am

My name is Lawrence and I’ve been playing guitar for about 45 years. I was originally inspired to play steel string guitar by listening to Leo Kottke, but had difficulty learning to play his music with the resources available in the pre-internet world. So, I decided to study classical guitar, first independently, and then with a number of instructors in order to learn to read music and to develop the skills necessary to play fingerstyle guitar. Admittedly an odd trajectory, but it worked well for two decades (with some gaps). I enjoyed playing many of the standard classical repertoire with a particular interest in Villa Lobos, which eventually lead me to Bossa Nova. By the mid 90’s there was an explosion of transcriptions available for Leo Kottke, and later Tommy Emmanuel and many others that allowed me to explore the fingerstyle genre that had originally inspired me. However, this time I had the skills from playing classical guitar that allowed me to learn this music quite quickly. After retiring two years ago, I recently purchased a Cervantes Master Rodriguez that has inspired me to not only relearn some of the classical repertoire and Brazilian jazz that I had played previously, but to explore some new pieces by Andrew York such as Andecy, Home and Sunburst. Looking forward to participating in the forum.
Cervantes Rodriguez Signature, European Spruce/Cocobolo, 2018

George Crocket

Re: Greetings from Indianapolis

Post by George Crocket » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:37 am

Greetings, Lawrence. Welcome to the forum. Your story is a familiar one around these parts.

Please start by having a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Introduce yourself”