Relearning Guitar in NYC

cynegils

Relearning Guitar in NYC

Post by cynegils » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Hello all and greetings from New York City.

I am 46, have played since I was 15, and never had any instruction (a mistake I'm sure). At some point along the way, I got a job, had kids, and the guitar, as well as my fingers, began collecting dust. I guess at this point I want to relearn the instrument, or actually learn it since I'm probably full of bad habits. Those habits have allowed me to get to the point where I can play some standards, but not the harder ones! I feel that whenever I play something well... it was luck and not skill! :lol:

I hope to get some good advice here!
Cheers,
Cynegils

CathyCate

Re: Relearning Guitar in NYC

Post by CathyCate » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

You need a second post to have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, to all members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and to be able post your own scores and recordings. After more posts you may apply for access to some higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile. To do this click on the User Control Panel at the upper left, then the Profile tab, then enter the information.

Have fun! Welcome to Delcamp forum, and stay Lucky! :lol:
CathyCate
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

woodenhand

Post by woodenhand » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:30 am

cynegils wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:24 pm
Hello all and greetings from New York City.

I am 46, have played since I was 15, and never had any instruction (a mistake I'm sure). At some point along the way, I got a job, had kids, and the guitar, as well as my fingers, began collecting dust. I guess at this point I want to relearn the instrument, or actually learn it since I'm probably full of bad habits. Those habits have allowed me to get to the point where I can play some standards, but not the harder ones! I feel that whenever I play something well... it was luck and not skill! :lol:

I hope to get some good advice here!
Cheers,
Cynegils
This was my situation as well. When I finally got back to the CG I had the sense to find a teacher, who has been correcting my many mistakes. If you are still "self-taught" (as I was), I urge you to find a teacher. You'll be surprised at how many mistakes you're making.

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am

Welcome back! Life happens. The stress relief and pleasure from studying guitar will be a welcome addition to your life.

Cincy
2018 Ashley Sanders Cedar/Ziricote lattice braced

A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

Return to “Introduce yourself”