Hi from Chapel Hill, NC

hsgreenside

Hi from Chapel Hill, NC

Post by hsgreenside » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Am just joining this forum, mainly to discover new classical guitar music and get some guidance or suggestions for playing pieces I am working on.

I have been playing classical guitar substantially for about twelve years now. In elementary school and junior high school, I played clarinet but lost interest in that instrument around high school, mainly because time became short and other interests became more important. When hitchhiking around Europe one summer as a college student, I met another college student in Paris France who played classical guitar and I was immediately attracted to the instrument: the beauty of some of its pieces, the kind of sound the instrument could produce, the intimate control of the sound by touching the strings, and the fact that one could play multiple voices which was a big improvement over the clarinet. So I bought my first classical guitar way back in 1977 from a guitar store in New York City (a Juan Orozco 62-U-18 for $700, which was a lot of money for me back then), started to take some lessons, and played for about four years. But then I got busy with graduate school and post-graduate research (I am a theoretical physicist who teaches and does research) and with starting and raising a family, and I put the guitar aside and did not pick it up again until many years later, after my two children left home for college and I felt it was ready to get involved with music again. Guitar then became a major part of my life where I took weekly lessons, played about 1-2 hours a day during the week and 2-4 hours over weekends, and continue to play regularly.

I now am playing currently a David Pace spruce guitar that I bought from the Classical Guitar Store (in Philidelphia) in 2016 for$7500 and have been quite happy with its sound and touch.

I would consider myself an intermediate guitarist and mainly enjoy playing solo pieces for myself. While I would like to play well, musically and technically, my main goal is to enjoy playing rather than perform at some high technical level. I am not interested in playing publically although I will play for friends and family.

Some pieces I am currently playing or recently played are: some preludes and fugues of Bach (997 and 998), the Fantasia by Dowland, Fantasie in C-minor by Weiss, various pieces by Sor with his Opus 29 no 17 being a favorite, various etudes and the Fuga by Brouwer, various etudes and pieces by Ponce (especially his Matinal, Vespertina, and Etude in the style of Weiss), some etudes of Villa Lobos (I especially like his etudes 4 and 5), Couperin's Mysterious Barricades, various etudes and some pieces by Bogdanovic (greatly like his Polyrhythms I and IV, and the Three African Sketches), some Scarlatti sonatas, some of the Tansman Cavatina pieces, and miscellaneous shorter pieces from many composers.

I find that I am drawn to polyphonic pieces and pieces with interesting rhythms (like Bogdanovic) and hope that members of this forum can help me discover some modern pieces (20th century, 21st century) that are fun to play and that are within my range of ability. Also want to find fingering for pieces (left and right hand) since it is really time consuming to discover a good fingering and many guitarists have already found good fingerings.

Henry

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hi from Chapel Hill, NC

Post by GeoffB » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi Henry,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for that excellent introduction! I'm sure you will feel very much at home here. Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jack Douglas

Re: Hi from Chapel Hill, NC

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Welcome Henry,
I enjoyed your introduction. And congratulations on your David Pace. I’ve heard good things about his instruments.
I’m just down the road from you just outside Pinehurst.
Enjoy your Delcamp experience!
Jack
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Return to “Introduce yourself”