Hello From San Diego, California

DavidCharles
Student of the online lessons

Post by DavidCharles » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 pm

My name is Dave, and I have been learning guitar for over 50 years. Although, it would be more appropriate to say that for the first ten years or so I was more abusing the guitar than I was learning how to play as I was self taught in the outbacks of Alaska and the like, learning to play primarily by ear. I started playing guitar to music by The Ventures, Duane Eddy, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Holly, moving on to The Beatles and everything that followed.

I bought my first classical guitar, a Cervantes Rodriguez, about 12 years ago. I started taking lessons reading music and playing beginning classical pieces,and also attending classes on jazz guitar at the local junior college. Although I learned a lot, it ultimately proved difficult for me to continue these activities due primarily to my travel interruptions. I now to learn using tools such as Youtube, GuitarPro software, guitar forums and books. I still play electric guitar as well.

My skill on the classical guitar is limited, but I have managed to make it through Giuliani's 120 Right-Hand Studies and other works of beginner level classical guitar, and I have made progress improving my finger picking. My interest now is to learn more technique and strengthen my note reading capabilities. I am certain that becoming a member of this forum will be a great help in those endeavors, and I hope to contribute in return as well.

DavidCharles

Post by DavidCharles » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:14 am

I am looking forward to becoming a member of this wonderful forum. There is such a depth of knowledge and available information that my concern is becoming overloaded.

I have played guitar for many years, both electric and acoustic and mostly as a hobbyist. I am now focusing on classical guitar, and would put myself somewhere between a beginner and intermediate player. I am mostly self taught with some lessons and classes added, and now hope to improve my knowledge of technique and score reading. I have listened to many of the classical guitar masters and composers, but I would also like to expand my knowledge of the music and the artists.

I wrote an introduction post earlier today but it seems it did not make it from my computer to the Forum. If it comes up, I have tried not to duplicate and if not, thanks for reading.

George Crocket

Re: Hello From San Diego, California

Post by George Crocket » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:57 am

Hello Dave. Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy and benefit from participating in our discussions.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.
I wrote an introduction post earlier today but it seems it did not make it from my computer to the Forum. If it comes up, I have tried not to duplicate and if not, thanks for reading.
The first couple of posts of new members require approval by the Mod Team. This is why your 1st introduction appeared lost. Since you have now posted two messages you are able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Have fun.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

DavidCharles

Re: Hello From San Diego, California

Post by DavidCharles » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Thank you.

Return to “Introduce yourself”