Hello! Beginner/hobbyist from Honolulu

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Chris NewVillage

Hello! Beginner/hobbyist from Honolulu

Post by Chris NewVillage » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi everyone, :D

My name is Chris. CG is a hobby for me, but one I have a passion for. I wish I had more time to practice. I do so w/ the Sagreras books 1-3. I also have books 4-6 which I hope to one day learn from. I am still on book 1. But, the lessons are sounding more beautiful as I start to learn the upper frets.

I don't have the luxury to rent a teacher -- family, job, etc. But the sound of a CG... It always pulls me in. I remember watching Chris Parkening when he had a concert here about a decade ago. Awesome!!

I've discovered a bad habit of self-learning (one among others I've probably not yet noticed): I hear a piece. Then I want to learn it. So, I get the piece. That, in turn takes me away from Sagreras, where I feel I should be spending time at. So, I build up a folder of pieces I'd like to learn. In doing so, I feel like things are so far away as the folder gets bigger but I haven't learned any of them yet. Another bad habit is buying books of pieces. :? :( :oops:

I think I've been getting better about it, though. I chose several to learn, separated as short and long term goals. I keep this where I always see them. Then, I put the rest out of sight.

Peace,

Chris in Mililani
--

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello! Beginner/hobbyist from Honolulu

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:00 pm

Welcome to Delcamp forum, Chris!
Please have a look at this welcome page to find out what you need to know about using the forum.
Subscribe to the 002 Messages group as soon as you've made your second post. It will give you access to Delcamp's large library of sheet music, audio and video files and allow you to send private messages to forum members. Click here to find out how to subscribe: Acceptance of subscription could take up to 48 hours.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

I am sure you will enjoy your membership. We are very friendly so do feel free to join any discussions that are of interest to you and to start new ones. If you need any help finding your way around, just ask.

Do follow up on the advice given above to gain access to the forum's collection of PDFs and MP3s,

Best wishes, V :)

PS As you have no teacher, you might be interested in some model recordings of some of the Sagreras. Brent McPike recorded all of Book 1 and that is widely available online e.g. iTunes. If you have access to YouTube, you will find a lot of lovely work on Book 2 from "francos1960". :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:36 pm

:D To all -- :merci: Thanks for the warm greeting! and for the FAST RESPONSE!

e.zurcher -- Thanks for the 002 tip! Will do ASAP!

Vesuvio -- Thanks for the Sagreras tips! I have the Brent McPike CD and am using it. Also for YouTube and "francos1960".

Bill Gifford

Post by Bill Gifford » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:16 am

Another welcome aboard NewVillage,

There are many like you here that have also been down that very long road of self discovery through self teaching, so I hope you don't feel an 'outsider'. There's plenty of opinion here to consider on what constitutes
an effective 'way' of progressing through self teaching, so try not to be too sensitive about asking for that.

It goes without saying that professional teaching will always provide an effective return. If the fates however, have conspired to ensure that isn't possible for some, then you're left to your own devices and the best support systems you can manage. Fortunately the resources available now for the 'go it alone' student have increased substantially and there's some good quality publications, CD's, videos etc available for this purpose.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about sampling a wide range of materials at this stage either, as your just 'entering the grid' so to speak and will have no definite ideas on where you wish to go. Its mostly exploration at this time, patrolling the boundaries, sampling, listening, connecting etc to discover which
style of music or specific pieces have some appeal. When you've worked through a good pile of that, you will find some recurring themes then start to emerge which then allows you to start sorting a suitable repertoir
for more consitent practice. Alternatively, you could consider simply following some of the more programmed
self instructional courses initially, to help gain the necessary sight reading and music fundamentals and when that's in the bag start to branch out more into the exploratory world. Perhaps the most important elements of all of this includes :

remain enthusiastic about playing something, preferrably an easy piece each day.

play all new material very, very slowly. Half speed CD's or sound tracks are still too fast in my opinion, for
new players. Slow it right down to distinct notes in a bar, and only allow the speed to increase when you've got sufficient fluidity . If you have difficulty next time you try to play the same piece, ignore the frustration and simply return to the slow, slow approach. It does eventually come but may take many less than happy returns.

establish a suitable place and time to consistently practise, to help ensure you're not disturbed.

garner a few attractive pieces wherever you can, and set these up as your background studies (etudes)
the old favourites like Carulli, Carcassi, Sor, Mertz, Aguado, Von Call, Guilaini et al, all include some beginners pieces that are also a delight to play.

Enjoy the journey.

Cheers :casque:

Bill

lawrenceg

Post by lawrenceg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi NewVillage. I could have written your intro myself. Everything from being on Book 1 of J.S. to wanting to learn Austurias by the weekend. :lol: I guess I'll just have to enjoy the little diitys in the JS book 1 --quite entertaining actually. I'm sure you'll find as I have that this forum is invaluable and it's members more than gracious. Here's a great thread for us self learners.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37512
Good luck and see you around!

P.S. Bill G. always has good advice.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi, lawrenceg. Thanks for the welcome! :D
lawrenceg wrote:I could have written your intro myself. Everything from being on Book 1 of J.S. to wanting to learn Austurias by the weekend.
I guess I'm not the only one who's been through this, huh?
lawrenceg wrote: I guess I'll just have to enjoy the little diitys in the JS book 1 --quite entertaining actually.
Cool. How long've you been CG'g? I would like to record some of the lessons -- after it's presentable, of course. If not anything else, it will give me additional encouragement.
lawrenceg wrote:Here's a great thread for us self learners. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37512
Thanks!
lawrenceg wrote:I'm sure you'll find as I have that this forum is invaluable and it's members more than gracious.
So far, I feel I've discovered an extended family. Nice! :D
lawrenceg wrote:P.S. Bill G. always has good advice.
Noted. Thanks for the heads-up!

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:21 pm

Bill Gifford wrote:Another welcome aboard NewVillage,
There are many like you here that have also been down that very long road of self discovery through self teaching, so I hope you don't feel an 'outsider'. There's plenty of opinion here to consider on what constitutes
an effective 'way' of progressing through self teaching, so try not to be too sensitive about asking for that.
Thank You for the welcome, Bill. I really appreciate it...
Bill Gifford wrote:I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about sampling a wide range of materials at this stage either, as your just 'entering the grid' so to speak and will have no definite ideas on where you wish to go. Its mostly exploration at this time, patrolling the boundaries, sampling, listening, connecting etc to discover which style of music or specific pieces have some appeal. When you've worked through a good pile of that, you will find some recurring themes then start to emerge which then allows you to start sorting a suitable repertoir for more consitent practice. Alternatively, you could consider simply following some of the more programmed self instructional courses initially, to help gain the necessary sight reading and music fundamentals and when that's in the bag start to branch out more into the exploratory world. Perhaps the most important elements of all of this includes: Remain enthusiastic about playing something, preferrably an easy piece each day.
Thanks for your words of encouragement and reminder to keep an open mind right now.
Bill Gifford wrote:play all new material very, very slowly. Half speed CD's or sound tracks are still too fast in my opinion, for new players. Slow it right down to distinct notes in a bar, and only allow the speed to increase when you've got sufficient fluidity . If you have difficulty next time you try to play the same piece, ignore the frustration and simply return to the slow, slow approach. It does eventually come but may take many less than happy returns.
I have found this out and appreciate it frequently. Especially during difficult portions, e.g. a shift. Thank you for reinforcing it.
Bill Gifford wrote: Enjoy the journey.
May I never forget that it is one.

Bill, thank you for sharing your experienced thoughts with me.

benplaut

Post by benplaut » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:38 pm

Aloha from the Big Island :)

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:46 pm

benplaut wrote:Aloha from the Big Island :)
Eh, howzit? :D Tanx fo da welcome. Nice to know got one close to home.

lawrenceg

Post by lawrenceg » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:45 pm

Cool. How long've you been CG'g?

Since August 4th 2008. I had begun w/ a teacher but circumstances.... I had played steel off and on for many years but nothing serious--strumming... I feel the JS books along with the internet, and this site in particular, make it possible to continue advancing. Thing is I have to be more aware of my technique but I think that is a good thing--baptism by fire so to speak--you can only run into the same walls and then are forced to research and find a solution. Although I seem to find out a lot more with this process-- things I hadn't considered or didn't know I should be looking out for so all good. I found the thread I refer to to be especially valuable with the JS books being that I would get really obsessive about playing each of those exercises with absolute perfection many times over. I still have a hard time moving on to the next thinking I missed something (I'm on lesson 64 by the way). However, when I did have an instructor he hadn't been so hard on me as long as I could play them through with reasonable ability and could sight read them. Anyways I'm rambling and this was only supposed to be a welcome. I will keep an eye out for ya'.

RoggerCallen

Post by RoggerCallen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Hello everyone I'm also brand new here. Registered a while ago but I'm practicing so hard on my new guitar that I actually have no time to step by Image

Thanks for existing! :D
-Rogger

Alhambra

Post by Alhambra » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:10 am

Welcome!

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:21 am

RoggerCallen wrote:Hello everyone I'm also brand new here. Registered a while ago but I'm practicing so hard on my new guitar that I actually have no time to step by Image

Thanks for existing! :D
-Rogger
Hey, Rogger! :D :merci: for dropping by!

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:22 am

Alhambra wrote:Welcome!
Hi, Alhambra! Thanks for the greeting!

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”