Greetings from a former brazilian luthier!

Roberto Gomes
Luthier

Greetings from a former brazilian luthier!

Post by Roberto Gomes » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:09 am

Greetings to all!

I was born in São Paulo - Brazil in 1953, and started playing guitar at the age of 12, but took it seriously at 16 playing Beatles, Stones, The Who, etc. Classical music where very appealing as well and at 18 started to study music theory and classical guitar.

By my twenties lived in Salvador - Bahia studing with Walter Smetak in a group of microtonal guitars, amazing experience, and got interested in lutherie because of Smetak´s dozens of original instruments. By 1977 had an experience scraping out a semi acoustic eletric guitar finish and by 1978 went to Madrid to study classical guitar with D.Áureo Herrero, a former Segóvia´s student of the late 30´s. Met all the top guitarreros of the time, Ramirez III, Contreras, Arcangel Fernadez, Félix Manzanero and Vicente Camacho becoming his friend and purchasing two of his guitars. Also had another lutherie experience taking off the back of a cheap Epiphone guitar to make it shallower to improve the trebles because I had to play in the metro to increase money.

After returning from Spain taught music theory and classical guitar and by 1982 built my first instrument, a british lute kit. From then on took guitar making professionaly until retirement in 2011.

In the 90´s I was member of GAL attending the conventions of 92 and 95 been an exhibitor, lecturer, author and player on the guitar testing sessions.

In 1992 with the prohibition of the international trade of brazilian rosewood, I started in Brazil a 3 years project of seeds distribution and seedlings where I lived. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=98333

Built 234 instruments, mainly 6 strings classical guitars, but also a few vihuelas, one renaissance guitar, a few romantic guitars, Torres replicas and few 8 strings and two 10 strings guitars.

In 2007, started a project of an ecological guitar out of slash pine ( Pinus elliotii) from replantations here in Brazil for top, sides, backs and necks and the needed hardwoods from recicle sources (furnitures, house demolitions, etc.) Built six guitars of these and was a promising project, but guitarrists didn´t care much about it, so I gave up also due heavy tendinites.

By 2009 wrote and published my memoirs in portuguese and it was published in Italian in 2010 http://www.frignanilorenzo.com/edizioni ... o.-42.html and in 2013 it was published in English.

Some of my guitars can be seen here: http://www.guitanda.com.br/instrumentos ... gomes.html

Since 2012 I´m living in the mountains of Southern Brazil where I have a small rural hostel enjoying retirement and the beautiful surrounding forrests of a National Park, playing guitar for myself and friends when time allows me. Perhaps I still will do something in lutherie: aeolic harps. Microtonal!!

Best regards,

Roberto Gomes
Last edited by Roberto Gomes on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

petermc61

Re: Greetings from a former brazilian luthier!

Post by petermc61 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:18 am

Welcome Roberto

That's quite a history! Glad to see you here.

Regards
Peter

Roberto Gomes
Luthier

Post by Roberto Gomes » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:05 am

Thanks, Peter.

Thd5919

Post by Thd5919 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:13 am

Welcome to the forum Roberto. Are you planning to build more classical guitar?

Roberto Gomes
Luthier

Post by Roberto Gomes » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks, Thd5919.

No, I´m not planning to make more guitars. Tennis elbow is not totally gone and gives me creeps just to think to go through 350 steps to make a fine guitar! Besides that there is the enviroment threat/pressure and today there are so many fine luthiers worldwide. Appreciate the interest anyway.

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:53 am

Welcome on board. I will read your memoirs at the weekend. Looking forward to it.

Roberto Gomes
Luthier

Post by Roberto Gomes » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:46 am

Thanks, simonm. Hope you enjoy the memoirs. The material in the DVD is interesting, I believe.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:58 am

Great to have you here, Roberto. Greetings from Scotland!

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Welcome to Delcamp, Roberto. We are glad you are here and I look forward to your contributions to the discussions. :-D
I think your reforestation project is wonderful and I hope that somehow more people will get involved in that sort of work.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:21 pm

Roberto, I hope you are still enjoying playing the guitar.... as much as I enjoyed hearing you play in Tacoma... for the listening session.
Steve

Roberto Gomes
Luthier

Post by Roberto Gomes » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:24 pm

lagartija wrote:Welcome to Delcamp, Roberto. We are glad you are here and I look forward to your contributions to the discussions. :-D
I think your reforestation project is wonderful and I hope that somehow more people will get involved in that sort of work.
Thanks for the warm welcome, lagartija! Nice to be here and from times to times I´ll show up!

Best regards,

Roberto Gomes
Luthier

Post by Roberto Gomes » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Steve Ganz wrote:Roberto, I hope you are still enjoying playing the guitar.... as much as I enjoyed hearing you play in Tacoma... for the listening session.
Hey Steve, how are you?! It´s been exactly 20 years! Man, we´re getting older, perhaps more well seasoned like a good piece of wood! :lol: Yes, I still like to play when the ranch daily errands permits me and the nails are OK. Nice to see you!

Best regards,

Roberto Gomes
Luthier

Post by Roberto Gomes » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:34 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:Great to have you here, Roberto. Greetings from Scotland!
Thanks, RobMacKillop!

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:32 am

Roberto Gomes wrote:
Steve Ganz wrote:Roberto, I hope you are still enjoying playing the guitar.... as much as I enjoyed hearing you play in Tacoma... for the listening session.
Hey Steve, how are you?! It´s been exactly 20 years! Man, we´re getting older, perhaps more well seasoned like a good piece of wood! :lol: Yes, I still like to play when the ranch daily errands permits me and the nails are OK. Nice to see you!

Best regards,
Roberto, I am well. Still in love with guitars and producing them.
Steve

Mateus Rodrigues

Post by Mateus Rodrigues » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:54 pm

What a pleasant surprise, I just saw a recommendation of your book here in this forum, never expected to find you here. I feel proud whenever I see Brazilians doing such a fine job as you. Bem vindo!

Return to “Introduce yourself”