Hello - Eternal beginner from Brighton

dougOlsen

Hello - Eternal beginner from Brighton

Post by dougOlsen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:23 pm

... Hove actually.

After many years of ham-fistedly bashing out chords while envying friends who actually *play* their guitars, I've decided to dedicate time to learning to play the instrument and read music formally.

After chatting with various learned friends about a realistic appraisal of my Musical abilities I set my self some goals. Ultimately I would like to become competent in sight reading and playing guitar music. However before embarking on a course of paid for tuition I've decided to test my resolve (as it were) by self-learning upto Grade 3 (based on suggestions by friends - two of whom teach for a living). My reasoning is that if I can discipline myself sufficiently to learn and practice this way then investing in lessons afterwards will be justified. Having looked around for self-teach materials (Books, DVD's, Apps etc) I finally came across an article on the Classical Guitar Review website titled "Great guitar sites that you should know about" and the Delcamp Classical Guitar Forum was one of the sites recommended and so here I am.

I look forward to exploring historic posts and give thanks for all those who've contributed to the compilation of this wonderful resource!

Doug

Michael.N.

Re: Hello - Eternal beginner from Brighton

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:31 pm

TBH I think you are doing it the wrong way around. It's much more important to get the very basics right first, before you pick up any bad habits.
I think I'd rather be taught to grade 3 and then go self taught, rather than the other way around.
Just my thoughts.
Historicalguitars.

Simon Volmer

Post by Simon Volmer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:43 pm

Welcome Doug :)
I agree with Michael, but if you have guitar-teaching friends it shouldn't be a problem to have them have a look at your playing every now and then.
Have a good time!
Simon

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. You now have access to all members' scores and recordings. After you have posted 2 messages, you can subscribe to the 002 group, which will give you access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:56 pm

Definitely support Michael and Simon. You may end up doing it fine, or you may end up regretting not getting some foundations laid down first. From a teacher's perspective, its a struggle to fix things that have been allowed to get entrenched, and much easier to get them right first time.
Typical examples; right hand position, finger angle (both hands), right hand finger alternation, posture. And the reading and understanding of rhythms.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

dougOlsen

Post by dougOlsen » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:56 am

Many thanks for the tips. I guess I wanted to prove to myself I have the discipline to practice before investing in Private lessons. It's not so much the expense of the lessons but rather I have always believed in self-motivation being a key factor in learning.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:48 am

If you have enough motivation you'll get through. I'm afraid you really have to want to play the Guitar, as in having a burning desire. Some quit because they lack focus or they don't receive any feedback. Most of us are plucking away to the four walls in our bedrooms. I think that's one of the important points of having a teacher, it's not only the acquisition of technique but it's also the focus it gives. It's almost like going back to school :shock: I'm not saying that's it's impossible to do it without a teacher, that would be absurd. Without one you are making things a lot harder for yourself though.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Introduce yourself”