Hello again. . .a new introduction

lifewithasong

Hello again. . .a new introduction

Post by lifewithasong » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:08 am

Hello everyone. I was a member here until recently, and then somehow, I was logged out and unable to log back in, so I've altered my username and registered again at the suggestion of the FAQ (e-mails to admins for login help have apparently been disabled, hence my re-registration).

I’ve been studying and playing the guitar nearly continuously for the past thirty-three years, and have covered several styles, but always come back to my beloved classical guitar! I started like many people I know by taking lessons at a local music store when I was eleven, and fortunately my first teacher believed in learning to read music, so that carried me for a few years until I started taking serious classical lessons with a retired violinist while in high school. This teacher truly encouraged me as a musician, but unfortunately taught me some faulty technical habits, and these problems meant that when I went to college to audition for the guitar chair, I was placed back into “basic” lessons with a graduate student--a very patient teacher himself who endured my desire to do other things besides practicing. This “back-placement” sort of discouraged me, I was young and wanted to have fun, and was more devoted to my studies for becoming a mental health counselor, so I put the guitar away for the next eight years while I worked towards graduation and then a masters degree.

Although I did discover archtops and jazz music in the meantime some years after this, one night in 1999, I was listening to an old tape I had made of several guitar concertos back in the late eighties, and the sound of the classical guitar took me back to those years when I was first falling in love with it! Pretty soon I located a local teacher who helped me work on technique for about eight months until I had completely overhauled what I had learned from the first teacher, and I went on to study and play seriously for another eight years. In the meantime, I was also continuing to nurse the call to play jazz, and so that has been a major source of inspiration up to the present for what I have been playing over the past several years.

So here I am coming back to Delcamp after joining several years ago and letting my membership lapse due to other commitments, and ironically, I come here now as I just had to let go of one of my favorite guitars to help raise money for a coming move to live where I have always wanted to--near the wilderness where I plan to have a place with my wife where people can come to get away from the cares of life for a while, and draw closer to the more basic elements of life. But I still have a great little old guitar--a Framus from the sixties--that I bought for seventy dollars several years ago and glued back together, and it’s a great little instrument that will serve me well until I can get something nicer again.

So I am hoping that joining again will help me get back into playing and enjoying the classical guitar! Thank you! :)

-Greg

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello again. . .a new introduction

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:40 am

Hello Greg and welcome back to Delcamp forum! Feel free to join discussions or start a new topic. Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have made 2 posts, you should subscribe to the 002 group which gives you access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also enables you to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 002 or 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Introduce yourself”