Newcomer from Virginia

Mayxx248

Newcomer from Virginia

Post by Mayxx248 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm a 35 year old who used to play metal guitar in my youth, put the guitar down for around 7 years, and am now trying to learn classical guitar. For now 'm going at it alone, using the Frederick Noad book.

This forum looks really useful, and I look forward to learning from you all.

George Crocket

Re: Newcomer from Virginia

Post by George Crocket » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi May. Welcome to the forum. Yes, we do think it is really useful. :discussion:

Please be sure to start at our welcome page where there is more information about the forum and its rules. When you have a second post, you should subscrive to the 002 user group (see here) to have access levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection. After more posts you may subscribe to the 020 group for access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library.

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

spruceman33

Post by spruceman33 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:05 pm

Hello May Where in Virginia do you live? I live in Northern VA and always enjoy meeting or getting together with fellow classical guitarists.
2008 Kenny Hill Hauser '37 SP/IN
1992 Richard Howell CD/IN

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi Mayxx248,
Fun, fun. And hello. I'm north of Richmond. What's your location in Virginia? You'll find the CG very addictive and fun. If you're near me I can give you names of guitar society folks, teachers, general information that might be helpful including luthiers or other guitar providers.
This forum is extremely informative!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:03 am

The Frederick Noad book, Solo Guitar Playing is excellent. You might want to buy Pumping Nylon to supplement and there are a number of scales books
'Segovia Scales' being one but there are other good ones. This is enough to get you really going.

Mayxx248

Post by Mayxx248 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:18 am

Thanks for the warm welcome! For those who asked, I'm living in SW VA, kind of far from NOVA or Richmond. Anyhow, I'm nowhere near able to call myself a classical guitarist (or any kind of guitarist after not playing for so long), so maybe I can make a trip after I become at least halfway competent!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:30 am

If you are anywhere near Radford University, check out their guitar performance series. They bring in some great musicians.

FHC

Post by FHC » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:27 pm

Welcome. I recommend you begin classical guitar with a trained and competent teacher. Laying the proper foundation is critically important. No, I am not a teacher. I am a player who is so very glad to have had a teacher in the beginning.

Return to “Introduce yourself”