Warm greetings from Seattle.

amashadi

Warm greetings from Seattle.

Post by amashadi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:33 am

Hello everyone-
My name is Arash and I am as green as it gets. A total beginner and 40 years old. I know, not an ideal age to start. Not even close!
On the bright side, I have 2 boys, 4 and 7 years old who love the sound of classical guitar and beginners as well :). To be fair to myself, I would have started when I was around 10 years old which was about the time I fell in love with flamenco guitar songs, however, I lived in a country where, at the time, music, in general, was considered a sin and was forbidden. A country where even listening to music was considered a crime. You could still buy a guitar (kinda underground), but my father could not afford such luxuries, he did try though. When he learned of my love for music and want of a guitar, he surprised me with a Nay, a treditional flute like instrument that is made from thick bamboo. He told me that though it was not a guitar, I could play music with it :) it's the thought that counts right!
Anyways, fast forward about 30 years and long after my scape from my homeland (literally), I think I can afford 3 guitars so I could start now along with my 2 sons. To be honest, I did buy a guitar as soon as I got out and learned some chords and tabs but being busy with building a life as an adult, I never became as serious as I liked about it.
Now, I'm here to explore and learn. Perhaps the first order of business for me is to figure out what guitar to buy for myself and more importantly for my sons. I'm not rich by any means but even if it means some overtime in my job (Ambulance/RN), I want to buy instruments that are right for the task in hand, specially when it comes to my sons. Anyways, that is me in a nutshell, and this introduction is the longest I have ever written in any forum. Somehow I have a good feeling about being here which excites me to the point of writing an autobiography of myself. So if anyone actually decided to read this novel, I thank you and apologize for taking advantage of your ears ;)
PS, I get fascinated by Spanish guitar pieces as well as many other styles of classicals.

oski79

Re: Warm greetings from Seattle.

Post by oski79 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:06 am

Welcome to Delcamp, amashadi!

I lived in Seattle for 26 years, until three years ago. There's a great classical guitar scene there. Hope you're aware of the Seattle Classical Guitar Society, the concert series at Nordstrom Recital Hall, and the free concerts at the Frye Art Museum. And, of course, the Rosewood Guitar on Greenwood at 85th. That's where you should be shopping! There are a number of great teachers there too!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

amashadi

Post by amashadi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:18 am

Thank you so much oski79. I will remember and use your advice regarding how to use the forum. Also thanks about pointers about the Seattle scene. I have much exploring to do now.
Thank you

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:37 pm

Welcomne Amashadi!
This is a fine forum and I think you will develop lots of new skills here. It's never too late to begin or improve You have a great story and I have lots of admiration for your dedication to music (any your boys)

Rick
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
2018 Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundo flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Good luck with it! Rosewood stocks a great variety of classicals, from half sized for kids, all the way to luthier made concerts. They usually have a variety of used instruments too. If you're looking for good advice on what to buy, there's no better place to go.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

amashadi

Post by amashadi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:01 am

Thank you Rick. It sure looks like a great place to be. Thanks again

amashadi

Post by amashadi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:02 am

Oski79-
Thanks again for great advise. I will visit Rosewood the first chance I get this week.
Thank you

Return to “Introduce yourself”