Hello from Welshman living in Kent

murph71

Hello from Welshman living in Kent

Post by murph71 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi All;

I usually end up waffling during an introduction so I'll try and keep it brief - and relevant.

I'm (a young!) 44 and have been playing guitar for around 34 years. I play various kinds of metal on a 7 string which a lot of people would probably find pretty extreme. I favour music with noticeable classical influences and the more technical and involved pieces but my tastes have grown more varied as I've got older.

I played classical piano when I was younger, starting at 4 years old and was going for my Grade 6 (ABRSM) when I stopped. Hopefully I can rectify that situation before my time comes. I also played trumpet, cornet and trombone in a youth orchestra - just for fun and I suppose I'll mention I didn't play them all at the same time! Just to clarify, y'know... ;-D

I went through a period of not playing anything for some years during my mid to late twenties and early thirties. Work, wife (now ex), doing up a house, travelling, studying martial arts (which I did from an early age) etc etc... Big regret but not the end of the world.

I always loved classical guitar. I actually started on a nylon string classical guitar that my mum bought from somebody for £10 and as I remember, it played really nicely, sounded fantastic - a nice bright, sharp and clear tone although I have, for about 99.99% of the time used a pick.

So, having met my SO, had 2 kids after moving from from South Wales 3 years ago, (kind of regret moving - a whole other story), I've recently decided to contact a prospective tutor and hopefully, will start lessons within the next few weeks. I'm picking up a cheap Yamaha C40 this weekend to see me through for a little while and will see how I get on. I'm looking to work towards the Trinity Grades and am wrapping my head around their syllabus and sussing out the techniques that one basically needs to learn from the outset. Good old internet but this forum is a wealth of amazing information which will in no doubt be a huge help. I've been lurking for a few weeks and have read all sorts of great stuff, read about some amazing instruments and some fantastic music - just about all which I have never ever heard about in my life aside from the odd musician or piece. My ignorance is almost intolerable but, you gotta start somewhere right?

Anyway, you seem like an awesome "bunch" so, even though it's only 2.30pm, I'll raise my glass - to new friends. Hope to "meet" some of you round here soon.

Paul Murphy.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from Welshman living in Kent

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello Paul and welcome to Delcamp forum! Feel free to join discussions or start a new topic. Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have made 2 posts, you should subscribe to the 002 group which gives you access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also enables you to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 002 or 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi Paul

Welcome to the friendliest guitar forum on the web.

It is nice to see you are getting a tutor and looking at the Trinity grade exams. I find them an excellent way of judging my progress. Do be aware that Trinity have just published their new syllabus for guitar exams. For the next year you will be able to take the old syllabus or the new one, so it is a good time to start. From a CG point-of-view you are lucky living in Kent as you are near the best selection of classical guitars in the country at Kent Guitar Classics.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:03 am

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum!

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

murph71

Post by murph71 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Thank you for the welcomes.

Derek; thank you for the heads up regarding the new syllabus. Thankfully, this was mentioned to me and I saw that there's a year overlap. I've also seen mention of Kent Guitar which I just looked up and is not too far from me, not that I could afford most of their instruments! Without getting ahead of myself, I'll definitely have to pay a visit at some point.

Return to “Introduce yourself”