Hello from Idaho

Arker

Hello from Idaho

Post by Arker » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:29 am

A little about myself;

I don't really play six-string guitar, I am better with electric bass, but I find I like to 'play with' just about anything that has vibrating strings and I am slowly picking up the six-string.

I've played music in one form or another since I was pretty young (I am now 43,) I was maybe 8 when I was taught dulcimer, I played cornet in school, electric bass after that. I used to play my bass till my fingers bled but that didnt mean I was any good ;) and then I didnt play at all for many years and only recently got an instrument back in my hand; I am rusty even on bass and I don't consider myself a player anymore, just a tinkerer who loves stringed instruments.

I'm mostly self-taught, I did have some great lessons from great teachers that I did not take as seriously as I should many years ago, and sometimes they still pop up from memory to help.

It may not be the best to admit here but while I like classical music I like all kinds of music and was not drawn to the instrument for that. I do love the nylon-string sound, whether it's playing classical or baroque or folk or what have you, and I also particularly appreciate the form factor of the classical guitar. I have fairly large hands that are more accustomed to working the fretboard of a full size bass guitar, and find the fretboard of even relatively larger electric or steel-string acoustic guitars uncomfortably cramped. I try and try but no matter how carefully I fret I cannot get an open 'A' chord without muting a string somewhere, and I feel like nothing but fat fingers when I try to play leads.

So I got the bright idea to find myself a full sized classical, and I am glad I did. Much more comfortable to play on. My 'A' rings clean on every string. Obviously I still need to practice practice practice if I actually want to *play* the thing but it feels so much more attainable with this instrument, it fits me comfortably and it sounds great.

So now I need to learn more about this instrument, and that is why I am here.

George Crocket

Re: Hello from Idaho

Post by George Crocket » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:20 am

Hi Arker.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum. If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

Since you already have to posts you should subscribe to the 002 usergroup which allows access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection (see here). After more posts you may apply for access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library.

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Arker

Post by Arker » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:42 am

Done. Thanks!

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:59 am

Who da ho?