Hello from Copenhagen, Denmark

Finn Wandahl

Hello from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by Finn Wandahl » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:37 pm

Dear friends,
I am new on this forum so please allow me to introduce myself:
Born in 1954, I studied classical guitar from 1972 at The Royal Conservatory of Music, Copenhagen and graduated with diploma in 1978. Since then I have been performing, teaching, transcribing etc. etc. except for a break of about 15 years. After some years of practice I am finally back again to my good old standarts, but I having a normal office job besides my guitarplaying to be able to make a decent living. I am very much looking forward to be a member of this forum.
Very best wishes :)
Finn Wandahl
Finn Wandahl - Copenhagen

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:55 pm

Hello Finn and welcome to Delcamp forum! Feel free to join discussions or start a new topic. Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have made 2 posts, you should subscribe to the 002 group which gives you access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also enables you to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 002 or 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Finn Wandahl

Post by Finn Wandahl » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:44 pm

Hello again,
By now I have been able to click my way around here and I like to say that this Delcamp forum is a joy and it looks very interesting and relevant for guitarplayers. Keep up the good work! :)
/ finn

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi Finn. Welcome to the forum. We do think the forum is great for classical guitarists no matter how much or how little experience they have. We depend on each others contributions for that. :discussion: I hope you enjoy your participation in many discussions.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:19 pm

Hej Finn

Velkommen til forummet.

Nice to have another Dane on the board :-)

Thomas

Finn Wandahl

Post by Finn Wandahl » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Hello George,
Sure, cooperation is the key word. You are absolutely right. Actually I learned a lot simply by talking to fellow guitarplayers both during my studies at the conservatory and abroad. Particularly I remember having long discussions about how to shape and polish the nails with different kinds of files and fine sanded paper with my english friend, a guitarplayer named Sarn Dyer. I learned a lot from that.
Best regards,
/ finn

Finn Wandahl

Post by Finn Wandahl » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Hello Thomas,
Ja, men jeg gad nok vide, om ikke der rent faktisk gemmer sig en del danskere her på bjerget, når man først får rystet træet. :)
Yes, actually there is a big guitar-society called "Dansk Guitar Selskab" in Denmark which is doing a lot og promotion for our instrument. Are you also a member of Dansk Guitar Selskab?
Best regards,
/ finn

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi, Finn,

Welcome ! so good to see one more person from Denmark; I am Polish but I have spent long time in your fair country as visiting teacher, and I really love Denmark, plus have a number of good friends there. Not many in musical circles thought, just my colleague from student times - Danish composer, Ms. Birgitte Alsted; she hs been studying violin, I was studying sculpture. I am sculptor and silversmith/goldsmith/metalsmith, also historian of applied art. As guitarist I am merely on the amateur’s level, I play mostly Spanish music from the Romantic and Classical period. As you already know this is very special place where everyone will find a place for himself/herself - amateurs and professional musicians, composers, luthiers, - all kind of classical guitar aficionados. You will surely have good time here.

Med venlig hilsen

Jacek
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

graceman

Post by graceman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:16 am

Velkommen til Finn
-Wellcome to Finn.
"..don't be afraid to miss a note. Being afraid is the only way you are sure to miss it.."

Finn Wandahl

Post by Finn Wandahl » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:37 pm

Hello Jacek,
Thank you. Interesting that you have been studying sculpture in Denmark. I know many danish artists. Ms. Birgitte Alsted is well known as one of the very few female composers. She's getting older but is still playing the violin. When you say Spanish music from the classical period I guess you mean Sor, Aguado etc. and the romantic period people like Tarrega, Llobet, Fortea, Pujol, Calayatud, Sainz de la Maza etc. which is very beautiful music.
Today I got a somewhat rare CD fra USA that might interest you: "El Circulo Musical Tarrega, his Disciples & their Students". Beautiful recordings of llobet, Fortea, Calayatud, Pujol etc. and finally Francisco Tarrega himself performing, in a very poor quality wax-cylinder-recording, a part of the Maria-Gavotte, but you can still get an idea of the beautiful sound of Tarrega and his beloved Torres guitar.
No doubt a very interesting CD.

Best regards,
/ finn

Finn Wandahl

Post by Finn Wandahl » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:42 pm

Mange tak Graceman. :D Located in Århus you are also danish I guess.

Best regards,
/ finn

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi, Finn,
Sorry for being unclear; I met Birgitte when she has been studying violin at Warsaw' Conservatory with prof. Irena Dubiska, and I was studying sculpture also in Warsaw at the Academy of Fine Arts there. That has been back in the '60...Well, I have been learning a lot on silver and gold - smithing in Denmark later, in semi formal way, and some Danish masters were kind enough to help my development with advices, criticising my works, introducing me to some, unknown in other places/countries tools, etc. As a curiosity: in the famous museum Den Gamla By in Aarhus there are two goldsmith's workbenches that, according to my modest knowledge, belong to oldest workbenches surviving in Europe.

Yes, Fernando Sor, Francisco Tarrega and Julio Sagreras, Antonio Cano, Jose Vinas, Bartolome Calatayud and similar are definitely up to my liking. Simple Cano etudes are beautifully elaborated by prof. Edson Lopes and I learned about them here at Delcamp. There is here a lot of scores and methods, like works/lessons by Julio Sagreras. Also here are I congratulate you on this CD "El Circulo Musical Tarrega, his Disciples & their Students", I'll try to get one from USA via one of my friends in there.

Such music requires for me - merely an amateur - proper instrument. I am able to make such pieces sound the best when playing a guitar of traditional (there are many variations of it) Spanish construction. This is another subject - I am deeply interested in co relation between materials and type of construction and sonic characteristic of a guitar. And I am still in a search for my "Holy Grail" - "The Spanish Guitar" :)

With my best
Jacek
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Finn Wandahl

Post by Finn Wandahl » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Hello Jacek,
Sure, you got a point there. Such music most certainly requires a proper instrument. And what can you do about that. Well, for me it is an process going on and on forever. Some years ago I was fortunate enough to find two very old guitars both made in Valencia. The first one was a very beautiful Sentcordi Hermanos from aprox. 1890 and after some repairs it was quite alright. some time later I found another guitar from aprox. 1900 without label, and in a very poor condition, thus in need of a lot of repairs. After some research into the designs of the different Valencia guitars, I finally believed it to be an Alexandro Roca. These are both very fine instruments but also very fragile. Then it came to my mind that people like Tarrega and Llobet didnt use instrument that were more than 100 years old. No they played on relatively new instruments. So I got some drawings/plans of the Manuel Ramirez 1912 that was given to Segovia. I then talked with with a local guitarmaker, Jørn Jepsen, about this and he became interested in the project. This was actually his first classical guitar, but he had done some repairs on classical guitars including my own Roca-guitar. He was normally making western and parlour types of guitar. I helped him to find the right kinds of wood, my choice was good, old german Bavarian Bearclaw-spruce and Amazonas Rosewood. He was working on and off on the guitar in his spare time for about a year. However, the result was very nice guitar having good volume, sustain and this wonderful, romantic, old-world sound. It is still very new, but at the same time very promising - and not too expensive. I think it will eventually become perfect for this kind of music.

Best regards,
/ finn

Return to “Introduce yourself”