Crazy in New Jersey

glycan

Crazy in New Jersey

Post by glycan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Crazy in New Jersey,

Initially, the electric guitar was my main way of life starting at 11. Metallica, Slayer, Pantera and Megadeth were the top 4 guitar riff masters that caught my attention. I feverishly practiced their riffs with much enjoyment for about year. By the age of 12, I was already bored with this repertoire and mentioned it to my electric guitar (Jazz) teacher. He asked, “what do you like about heavy metal music?” I liked the changes in tempo and the contrast between light and dark. He exclaimed, “Buy an Andres Segovia cassette”. The intimate guitar was my first tape from Segovia and his playing changed my perception of the guitar and music itself. The first track Bouree by Weiss captivated me emotionally and intellectually from that day on I knew classical guitar was my future! Unfortunately, I was not trained on any classical guitar method or had extensive training via teacher. The extent to my playing solely relied on ear and sight reading.

From a small town pre internet, acquiring a teacher or any materials regarding the classical guitar was quite difficult especially at the age of 12. I fumbled through techniques and manage to play many pieces. Unfortunately, by the age of 22, my playing was considered horrid to a seasoned classical guitar performer and was told I would have to relearn the classical guitar. By then, I changed my area of study to Science and put the guitar down.

Currently 38 , I am a recent “born again” classical player coming off a 16 year absence with an exceptional Peabody graduate as a mentor. The internet has opened a wealth information that had been out my reach as a teenager. Unfortunately, this wealth of information can be simply too much information. I elected a teacher in efforts to reinvent myself as a player and finally to share and understand the musicality of this great instrument with others. Thanks, Joe C

Erik Zurcher

Re: Crazy in New Jersey

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Hello Joe and welcome to Delcamp forum! Feel free to join discussions or start a new topic. Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have made 2 posts, you should subscribe to the 002 group which gives you access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also enables you to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 002 or 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

lagartija

Re: Crazy in New Jersey

Post by lagartija » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:04 pm

Hello, Joe, welcome to Delcamp! I think getting a teacher was the best first step you could have taken to shorten the time until you play the music you wish to play. A teacher is great at keeping you from going down those dead ends that you discovered as a teen.
This is a great place to come for support....lots of members here have traveled a path similar to yours and there are a lot of experienced teachers and players here as well. Feel free to join in on the conversations and I hope to see you often around the Forum! :bye:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Return to “Introduce yourself”