Hello from San Jose, California

smiglo

Hello from San Jose, California

Post by smiglo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:17 pm

I have been playing classical guitar for 37 years. I started quite late at 30 years old, and began by reading a library book, but soon started taking local Junior College classes from a guitarist who had graduated from the Peabody Institute.

I first got interested at 18 when my cousin played a Segovia record for me -- I didn't know a guitar could sound like that!

I mostly play and listen to Classical and Romantic pieces, but like parlor music, like Joplin. I'm a decent sight reader, but cannot easily memorize the pieces.

I prefer solo guitar pieces by Sor, Aguado, Giuliani, Carcassi, and Carulli, but also like transcriptions non-guitar pieces by Bach, Mozart, Grieg, Ravel (OK, I like Impressionists, too), Debussey, Faure...

I come from a physics, mathematics, software engineering and chemistry background, so I am interested in the physics and mathematics of music and the construction of guitars.

I have 14 guitars, 12 classical. I have tried many combinations of soundboard and tone woods. I prefer spruce tops with either rosewood or palo escrito tone woods.

I am a retired technical director from a small Silicon Valley engineering company which produced satellite signal measurement software.

George Crocket

Re: Hello from San Jose, California

Post by George Crocket » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi Smiglo.

Welcome to the forum. Your library book brought a smile to my face. I did that too, some 45 years ago - I still have it, but don't tell anyone.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

Afetr a second post you should subscribe to the 002 usergroup which provides access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, amongst other things, (see here). After more posts you may apply for access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library.

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile -click on your username.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Introduce yourself”