Cheers from London

D-Zyne

Cheers from London

Post by D-Zyne » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi everyone- just a brief intro, I'm an American now living in the UK. Schooled in classical many years ago but regrettably stopped playing for many years too as I chose to join pop covers bands (I sold out) playing bass. I'm looking to get back into the ol' nylon strings but having been out of touch for so long I'm sure I'll need help. Hopefully I've come to the right place :-)
I suppose the first thing to ask is about guitars- currently playing an ancient Alvarez and looking to upgrade but I'm not sure of brands. I was researching Dauphins but they seem hard to come by- wish I'd bought my teachers oh so long ago. I'm not moneybags so probably looking for something in the 500-600 range. Any suggestions on reputable brands and models? Takamine perhaps?
Thanks

Erik Zurcher

Re: Cheers from London

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Hello D-Zyne and welcome to Delcamp forum! Feel free to join discussions or start a new topic. Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have made 2 posts, you should subscribe to the 002 group which gives you access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also enables you to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 002 or 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

waikuentsui

Post by waikuentsui » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

D-Zyne,

Welcome to our Forum and warm greetings from Canada.
For 500-600 British Pounds, you should be able to buy a pretty decent used guitar.
Don't give up on your Alvarez yet, some older Alvarez models were made by Kazuo Yairi, a famous Japanese luthier.
Dauphin guitars are indeed hard to find, but they do come up for sales in e-b a y every now and then at a very reasonable price range.
Good luck in your search on a good guitar.

waikuentsui

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:25 pm

As per some recent threads, visit London Guitar Studio (and Ivor Maraints) and see what they have in your range. There should be a good half dozen or so in that area to choose from. At about £600 I'd suggest an Admira Soledad - very nice guitars, warm and traditional in sound. And good enough to vary a bit so still worth trying different ones.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Return to “Introduce yourself”