US $.2000 Manouk Papazian spruce 1973, New York - Sold

larryguitar

US $.2000 Manouk Papazian spruce 1973, New York - Sold

Post by larryguitar » Fri May 27, 2016 2:30 pm

Manouk Papazian Classical
650mm scale
Spruce
Bolivian rosewood, (Pau Ferro), I believe
Sound: Sweet, mellow, nice tone, not loud, sounds like 1973.
Condition: Structurally sound, some playing wear, some crackling in the finish.
$2,000 USD (for payment with PayPal, add 3%), plus shipping
48 hour trial, if you pay the shipping both ways. Local New York City pickup.
Trial location: New York, NY

Spruce Top, although it is very red from the varnish used
Bolivian rosewood, Pau Ferro
Oil varnish
Alessi tuners
ABS case, along with Kris Barnett support, an extra pair of magnets, and a Humidpak.

I've decided to sell the 1973 Manouk Papazian which has been my main guitar for the last two years. I've enjoyed my time playing this guitar. I just upgraded to a Velazquez, so that's why I'm selling it. Guitars by Papazian are undervalued in the marketplace, in my opinion. For those who don't know, Papazian was a New York City maker, and a contemporary of Velazquez and Del Pilar.

I bought this guitar from David LaPlante so perhaps he can chime in if I have made any mistakes in the description. My understanding is that this guitar was in the lot of instruments left to Manouk's son when Manouk passed away, and that it had never been strung up before I bought it in 2014.

I had some fret work done on the guitar and had a new bone nut installed. David made me some different height saddles which I will throw in with the guitar, along with the support from Kris Barnett. The magnets for the support are already installed inside of the Papazian.

As you can see, the guitar has no label, but have no fear, Manouk put his name in the rosette, as you can see in the picture. I guess it helps to come from a family of carpet makers. Also, there is a pencil mark inside, on the back, that says "73".

Let's start with US buyers only for now.

As my luthier said to me when he checked out the guitar, "You're getting a hand-built instrument for the price of a factory-built guitar. How can you complain?"
guitarincase.jpg
guitarbody.jpg
rosette.jpg
yearmarking.jpg
papazianback.jpg
papazianneck.jpg
headstock.jpg
papazianside.jpg
finish.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David LaPlante
Luthier

Re: US $.2500 Manouk Papazian spruce 1973, New York

Post by David LaPlante » Sun May 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Your description is accurate Larry and I might add that the top is "Swiss" spruce and the bridge, headplate and bindings are Brazilian rosewood.
All of these "dark top" models (as you said it's the dark varnish, I think Papazian might have been emulating the popular Ramirez look of the times)) are sold now and this one was the last of the ones without cosmetic issues.
Well put by your luthier, indeed a handmade luthier guitar for the price of a factory guitar.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon May 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks for the additional information, David. I guess I have multiple luthiers. :-) Matt Rubendall is my local luthier and he was the one who said that about the guitar. I believe Matt had a cottage industry setting up Papazians at one point, so he has seen quite a few of them.

David LaPlante
Luthier

Post by David LaPlante » Tue May 31, 2016 1:37 pm

Indeed,
Matt initially worked with the fellow who had acquired the estate instruments.
This was prior to my getting together with him on the project.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Father's Day bump.

I want to state that this guitar has no cracks,it is absolutely solid. I've seen examples that had many cracks.

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:09 pm

I used to own a very similar Papazian from 1972--spruce/pau ferro, no label, etc. The only reason I sold it is that I also had (and still have) another 1972 Papazian, spruce/Brazilian. I have to say, the two sounded very similar, and these pau ferro examples are an excellent bargain. I've always loved the neck profile and overall comfort of Papazian's guitars.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Sean,

Thanks for the kind words. My teacher characterized Papazian's guitars as underdogs, and he liked this one a lot.

If I hadn't just spent a lot more for a Velazquez, I'd keep playing this guitar.

A rather well known player/composer tried it out for a few minutes and said it sounded like 1973, which is why I put that phrase in the description. I'm not quite old enough to remember the sound of 1973 but he is, LOL.

I'm lowering the price to $2250 for some nice Delcamper. Spare yourself the trouble of buying and selling a factory made guitar, and just buy this one.

CathyCate

Re: US $.2250 Manouk Papazian spruce 1973, New York

Post by CathyCate » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:15 am

This is a beautiful instrument! What a chance to own a true treasure and a fascinating slice of guitar history.
If I were not in GAS recovery, I would be tempted.

This post is positive proof that this Forum is a great place to scout for fantastic CG bargains.

This guitar should be on the way to a good home within a few more hours. Oh please, oh please :chaud:
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

gansz

Post by gansz » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:23 pm

Totally agree.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:21 am

Thanks guys, but I've learned that the time scale for selling classical guitars is months, if not years, rarely hours.

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:10 pm

To be honest I suspect this would have sold quicker if it was 1k more. :-) Folks is strange. For beginners it is expensive and unknown, for people who have money and should know better it looks too good to be true.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:57 pm

simonm wrote:To be honest I suspect this would have sold quicker if it was 1k more. :-) Folks is strange. For beginners it is expensive and unknown, for people who have money and should know better it looks too good to be true.
Well, I don't agree with your reasoning that this would sell more quickly if it were priced higher. Everyone is price sensitive when it comes to buying instruments, raising the price will not help sell it.

I think all luthier-made instruments are unknown to beginners, they only know about factory-made instruments and need to educate themselves about luthiers. At least, that's my conclusion from reading the thread on here about what guitars everybody plays.

There's a Papazian on GFA, ex-Sharon Isbin, for $5950. See: http://www.guitarfoundation.org/blogpos ... s-For-Sale

Yes, it's Brazilian, so that is part of the reason for the higher price. Mine is not too good to be true, though, it is a good instrument for the price and is offered at a discount on what I paid for it.

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:25 pm

larryguitar wrote: ….. Mine is not too good to be true, though, it is a good instrument for the price and is offered at a discount on what I paid for it.
This is what I was trying to get at. It is superb value but some people may think it is too cheap and conclude from that, that there is a problem. Silly really. But some people do think that way. There have been a couple of threads recently with people asking what should they buy but they won't take the hint to buy this - they are seduced by a factory name.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:53 pm

If anybody has any concerns, I can put them in touch with two luthiers who have seen the guitar. One is on the forum and one is not.

The Italian peddler, Tarisio, shined up new violins which he traded for Strads and Guarneris from priests who were dazzled by the shiny new instruments. I don't mean this of that quality but people can be fooled by shiny factory guitars.

You know, sometimes a buyer has to believe they got a good deal or they never buy anything because they always hope for a better deal.

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi Larry, I might be interested in buying a guitar at the end of the summer (mid-August, possibly). I'm in NYC for the summer, and would love for a chance to try it out. Would that work out for you?
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”