I just received 2nd Complete edition, and decided to compare it to the 1st edition.
1st Complete edition has CD and DVD included (at least my copy).
There is no option to buy 2nd Complete edition with CD/DVD (but the 2nd Regular edition has it). You have to register on Alfred's web site to either stream content online, or to download video and audio from Alfred's web site by installing their player. Instructions and unique code are provided as small paper sheet in the DVD sleeve attached to the inside back cover. The sleeve is not sealed, make sure the book you are buying has it there.
Now, the bad thing:
After you install the player, you can download all video and audio as MOV and mp3 files to your local drive, but you can't choose where to download it from player. You can also download audio directly from their media web site and unzip it wherever you want.
Windows player downloads video to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\LeapingBrain\catalog), and audio to "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\al_00-45924\Pumping Nylon Complete 2nd Edition Video Audio".
You can't play the MOV file in other players - it is encrypted, but mp3 files are standard, and can be played by any player.
Very bad decisions IMO:
- account you create/use for downloads and streaming is not for the main Alfred web site, it is for their 'media' web site (and this is hard to notice);
- the video can become unplayable if Alfred goes underwater, or if the player is not supported on your platform.
- not only they download files to completely different locations on your hard drive, but they also download to your /Documents folder without asking you. I moved audio files to the folder where all my music stuff is stored, which means I can still play them from other players, but not from Alfred's one.
2nd Regular edition can be bought with or without DVD, both options allow online access.
1st Complete edition is printed on yellowish, almost newspaper grade paper.
2nd Complete edition is printed on heavier bright white paper.
Added for 2nd edition:
- Short special note on footstool alternatives.
The left Hand:
- May the Notes be with You, a slur study by Evan Hirschelman
- Giuliani's Left-Hand Studies from Op. 1. with Giuliani's fingering.
The Right hand:
- Balance in Chords section (half page long)
- 4 short preparation exercises for Chant
- Shapeshifting - an Arpeggio Etude by Evan Hirschelman
- Balancing Act, by Scott Tennant is moved from Part 2 of 1st edition to Part 1 of 2nd edition ('The Right Hand/Balance in Chords' section).
Excluded from 2nd edition:
- Exercises in 3rds and 6ths from Op. 1A by Mauro Giuliani
Part 3 is identical.
There are also some small differences in layout and in engraving.
Audio: 2nd edition has 55 downloaded files vs 50 on 1st edition CD - it matches the print differences.
Video: downloaded 2nd edition files are of higher HD 1080p quality, mosty likely same files come on 2nd edition DVD.
The bottom line:
The only reason to buy 2nd edition if you already have the 1st one, is the better paper and higher video resolution IMHO. The book description mentions 'Three new performance pieces" - I can see only 2 additional studies by Evan Hirschelman, the third one is just moved from Part 2.
If you have the 1st Complete edition, it makes sense to buy the regular 2nd edition, with or without DVD. I'd buy with DVD to avoid all these unnecessary complications with Leaping Brain player.
Last edited by Vlad Kosulin on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)