Pumping Nylon Complete: 2nd edition vs 1st

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Vlad Kosulin

Pumping Nylon Complete: 2nd edition vs 1st

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:58 pm

I just received 2nd Complete edition, and decided to compare it to the 1st edition.

1st Complete edition has CD and DVD included (at least my copy).
There is no option to buy 2nd Complete edition with CD/DVD (but the 2nd Regular edition has it). You have to register on Alfred's web site to either stream content online, or to download video and audio from Alfred's web site by installing their player. Instructions and unique code are provided as small paper sheet in the DVD sleeve attached to the inside back cover. The sleeve is not sealed, make sure the book you are buying has it there.
Now, the bad thing:
After you install the player, you can download all video and audio as MOV and mp3 files to your local drive, but you can't choose where to download it from player. You can also download audio directly from their media web site and unzip it wherever you want.
Windows player downloads video to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\LeapingBrain\catalog), and audio to "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\al_00-45924\Pumping Nylon Complete 2nd Edition Video Audio".
You can't play the MOV file in other players - it is encrypted, but mp3 files are standard, and can be played by any player.
Very bad decisions IMO:
- account you create/use for downloads and streaming is not for the main Alfred web site, it is for their 'media' web site (and this is hard to notice);
- the video can become unplayable if Alfred goes underwater, or if the player is not supported on your platform.
- not only they download files to completely different locations on your hard drive, but they also download to your /Documents folder without asking you. I moved audio files to the folder where all my music stuff is stored, which means I can still play them from other players, but not from Alfred's one.

2nd Regular edition can be bought with or without DVD, both options allow online access.

1st Complete edition is printed on yellowish, almost newspaper grade paper.
2nd Complete edition is printed on heavier bright white paper.

Added for 2nd edition:
- Short special note on footstool alternatives.
The left Hand:
- May the Notes be with You, a slur study by Evan Hirschelman
- Giuliani's Left-Hand Studies from Op. 1. with Giuliani's fingering.
The Right hand:
- Balance in Chords section (half page long)
Tremolo:
- 4 short preparation exercises for Chant
Arpeggios:
- Shapeshifting - an Arpeggio Etude by Evan Hirschelman

Relocated:
- Balancing Act, by Scott Tennant is moved from Part 2 of 1st edition to Part 1 of 2nd edition ('The Right Hand/Balance in Chords' section).

Excluded from 2nd edition:
Part 2:
- Exercises in 3rds and 6ths from Op. 1A by Mauro Giuliani

Part 3 is identical.

There are also some small differences in layout and in engraving.

Media:
Audio: 2nd edition has 55 downloaded files vs 50 on 1st edition CD - it matches the print differences.
Video: downloaded 2nd edition files are of higher HD 1080p quality, mosty likely same files come on 2nd edition DVD.

The bottom line:
The only reason to buy 2nd edition if you already have the 1st one, is the better paper and higher video resolution IMHO. The book description mentions 'Three new performance pieces" - I can see only 2 additional studies by Evan Hirschelman, the third one is just moved from Part 2.
If you have the 1st Complete edition, it makes sense to buy the regular 2nd edition, with or without DVD. I'd buy with DVD to avoid all these unnecessary complications with Leaping Brain player.
Last edited by Vlad Kosulin on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

soltirefa

Re: Pumping Nylon Complete: 2nd edition vs 1st

Post by soltirefa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:07 am

You reckon it's like Beverly Hills Cop 1 vs 2?

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Vlad Kosulin, thanks for the detailed review. I bought the 2nd edition with DVD 2 years ago. I was unable to get the online stuff working via the Roku Purpleplayer app. I wrote to Alfred's tech support and was advised they were updating the Purple app but tech support never followed up. Your post reminds me to try it again. I did not own an iMac back then but I have one now and will try to access the online stuff on the iMac and see if I have better luck.

I thought the 2nd edition has Recuerdos de la Alhambra (per a poster on delcamp). Does your's have it? It is not in my book, or DVD. Don't know about online yet.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:39 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:16 pm
I thought the 2nd edition has Recuerdos de la Alhambra (per a poster on delcamp). Does your's have it? It is not in my book, or DVD. Don't know about online yet.
No, it does not.

Vlad.
Regards,
Vlad

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:42 pm

SteveL123 wrote:

I thought the 2nd edition has Recuerdos de la Alhambra (per a poster on delcamp).
No, Recuerdos is a separate little booklet by him (which I have, so if you have questions about it, just ask).
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Vlad Kosulin wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:58 pm
I just received 2nd Complete edition, and decided to compare it to the 1st edition.
Vlad, thank you very much for this detailed comparison. Just a couple of thoughts on the issue of the over-protective player:

The 'leaping brain' player is actually an open source player. It uses extensively the VLC player and in fact is not really supposed to have been modified to allow DRM protection. Some people have made completely legal changes to the open source code to allow the player to save the DRM-free video.

If you are worried you might lose what is legally yours, there are a couple of options to pursue. One is to figure out how to use a modified player as I mentioned above. The other is to use a screen grabber to basically record what is on your screen while the video is playing in the player. This works because the protected video has to be decoded on the fly by the player in order for you to see it (then it encodes it back and/or deletes the decoded copy) - i.e. you are always seeing a decoded stream at the moment you are watching it. The screen grabber picks up the stream of pixels across a region on your screen (or your entire screen) and saves it as it goes along, thus effectively capturing the decoded video (and audio).
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Smith

Post by Smith » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:03 pm

This looks like one for the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” department. Pumping Nylon is a landmark and I am ever thankful Scott Tennant put it together.
Successive publications, new ‘improved’ or ‘updated’ editions, alas, frequently smell of a publisher’s marketing schemes.

Smith

Post by Smith » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 pm

This looks like one for the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” department. Pumping Nylon is a landmark and I am ever thankful Scott Tennant put it together.
Successive publications, new ‘improved’ or ‘updated’ editions, alas, frequently smell of a publisher’s marketing schemes.

Edit: That said, I doubt I would buy the new edition now as I own an earlier edition. But we’re I to recommend it to someone, I would probably suggest buying the most current edition, as that’s what I would do if buying it for the first time.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:28 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 pm
Vlad Kosulin wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:58 pm
Vlad, thank you very much for this detailed comparison. Just a couple of thoughts on the issue of the over-protective player:

The 'leaping brain' player is actually an open source player. It uses extensively the VLC player and in fact is not really supposed to have been modified to allow DRM protection. Some people have made completely legal changes to the open source code to allow the player to save the DRM-free video.

If you are worried you might lose what is legally yours, there are a couple of options to pursue. One is to figure out how to use a modified player as I mentioned above. The other is to use a screen grabber to basically record what is on your screen while the video is playing in the player. This works because the protected video has to be decoded on the fly by the player in order for you to see it (then it encodes it back and/or deletes the decoded copy) - i.e. you are always seeing a decoded stream at the moment you are watching it. The screen grabber picks up the stream of pixels across a region on your screen (or your entire screen) and saves it as it goes along, thus effectively capturing the decoded video (and audio).
My concern is not about player itself (I googled it when wrote my fist post), but about the way it verifies my eligibility. I had to enter my username and password which was for sure verified by sending request to Alfred. Even assuming this is just a one time verification, if I need to reinstall OS or to switch to a new computer, and Alfred is down, I will not be able to login again. And even if Alfred is not out of business, they may lose their database, 'migrate' it, there are many options of losing my account data. I've seen this in the past when after few years I couldn't install an officially purchased software, because the automatic 'registration/verification' got broken. And when I contacted the vendor, they said they stopped selling it few years ago, and do not support the registration process anymore.

I hope I will find a better way than screengrabber to get the video decrypted.
Regards,
Vlad

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:02 am

guitarrista wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:42 pm
SteveL123 wrote:

I thought the 2nd edition has Recuerdos de la Alhambra (per a poster on delcamp).
No, Recuerdos is a separate little booklet by him (which I have, so if you have questions about it, just ask).
Is that booklet published by Alfred but separate from Pumping Nylon? How much is it and is it worth getting? Is it the same or different content as Tenant's Recuerdos lesson on Tonebase?

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Yes it is published by Alfred. It also has tremolo exercises from Tennant, his fingerings, and additional info. You can read details on Alfred's web site. They also have sample pdf with table of contents and notation fragments.
Regards,
Vlad

Return to “Reference Library”