2018-10-26 james Boyd and Harriet Mackenzie - Norwich (UK)

muirtan

2018-10-26 james Boyd and Harriet Mackenzie - Norwich (UK)

Post by muirtan » Sun May 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Friday Oct 26th. 2 pm. Concert with Harriet Mackenzie. Hostry Festival. Norwich. http://www.hostryfestival.org

The Hostry is part of Norwich cathedral.

muirtan

Re: 2018-10-26 james Boyd and Harriet Mackenzie Norwich (UK)

Post by muirtan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:47 am

The festival programme has been released so a few more details.

400 years of guitar and violin music
Classical concert ( 1hr) + Q&A
2pm --> 3:30 pm
Friday 26th October
The Hostry Norwich Cathedral
Tickets £15 (£12 concs)

There's more information here http://www.hostryfestival.org/book-now/ ... cal-revue/

muirtan

Re: 2018-10-26 james Boyd and Harriet Mackenzie - Norwich (UK)

Post by muirtan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Some more details about the concert.

We will start with the genius of J.S. Bach, moving into a little dalliance in the world of bordellos, cafes and nightclubs with Astor Piazolla, lyrical seduction with Mr Paganini and a tread along the dark edge of the abyss with Manuel de Falla. The Paganini of the guitar, Augustin Barrios Mangore, heralds the Guardian Angel of Biber's stunning passacaglia for solo violin (Franz Biber not Justin....) and the will o' the wisp of elusive love will be heard for a moment captured in the flamenco melismas of the Chanson du Feu Follet

The guitar, unlikely though it may seem at first glance, has been a partner for the violin for many years. Many great guitarists in the classical and romantic period had a following of admirers who were captivated by their seemingly unearthly ability. And many of them partnered great violinists on the stage.

The two instruments speak in different ways and yet weave together perfectly. Yehudi Menhuin once said that the violin was the closest an instrument could get to the human voice. I believe this to be true but the guitar approximates closely the voice used in poetry and rhetoric. In its subtleties of inflection it weaves a different spell that works brilliantly with the soaring quality of the violin. A match made in heaven or hell... who knows... but both instruments reach beyond the veil."

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:54 pm

H,i I hope some of you managed to make the concert, it was amazing. Started with Bach 1024 then Barrios Preludio saudade, a violin piece by Biber, Histoire de tango by Piazzolla, and De Falla Hommage. I think I might have missed a piece out but the concert was stunning so vibrant and such a connection between the players.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:46 pm

Everytime I read the thread title i misread it as "James Bond" ...

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:51 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:46 pm
Everytime I read the thread title i misread it as "James Bond" ...
I doubt you're the only one. No gun in site today or russian spies for that matter one very beautiful violinist though

Return to “Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts”