Isbin, Gilbert - Observation for 10-string Guitar - Video

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
RobMacKillop

Isbin, Gilbert - Observation for 10-string Guitar - Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:37 am

One of currently 12 pieces Gilbert Isbin has recently composed for the 10-string Guitar in Yepes Tuning. Although not composed with Narciso Yepes in mind, I certainly have him in mind when playing this piece. He seemed such a gentle man, but with real inner strength. So, I dedicate this performance to him.

RobMacKillop

Re: Isbin, Gilbert - Observation for 10-string Guitar - Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:11 am

??

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:54 am

Not a composer I usually quite appreciate, but you definitely got something going there mate.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Cheers, Stephen. Pleased you took the time to give it a listen, and also make a comment. Much appreciated. Gilbert has a unique voice, with hints of various influences. His music takes time - sometimes - to sink in. Worth it, though, imho.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:04 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:29 pm
Cheers, Stephen. Pleased you took the time to give it a listen, ...
Twice! :wink:
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Haha!. Good man!

Conall

Post by Conall » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:22 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:37 am

One of currently 12 pieces Gilbert Isbin has recently composed for the 10-string Guitar in Yepes Tuning. Although not composed with Narciso Yepes in mind, I certainly have him in mind when playing this piece. He seemed such a gentle man, but with real inner strength. So, I dedicate this performance to him.
Lyrical indeed!
Nice tones you are getting from that guitar too.
Remind me what video recorder & audio recorder, microphone(s) & software you use?
My set-up and workflow just about works but is clumsy & time-consuming so I hardly ever use it. Your set up must be much more efficient given how quick you can upload a good quality video+audio!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:40 pm

I've definitely lost track of how many comments go: "Nice. What recording equipment do you use?" At least yours, Conall, expanded a little on the "nice" bit :-)

I must put this on a website, so I can link to it.

Rode NT4 stereo mic. Fostex FR2LE hard-disk recorder. Wavelab Essential 6 sound editor. The latter is so basic, it only takes one stereo track, but that suffices for me. It's long outdated and unavailable.

Conall

Post by Conall » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:04 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:40 pm
I've definitely lost track of how many comments go: "Nice. What recording equipment do you use?" At least yours, Conall, expanded a little on the "nice" bit :-)

I must put this on a website, so I can link to it.

Rode NT4 stereo mic. Fostex FR2LE hard-disk recorder. Wavelab Essential 6 sound editor. The latter is so basic, it only takes one stereo track, but that suffices for me. It's long outdated and unavailable.
Thanks Rob, but what's your video recorder too please & do you synch the video & Fostex audio in Wavelab manually? It takes me ages to record video on my Panasonic, audio on Tascam Dr-40, manually synch audio & video in Audacity then replace the Panasonic audio with Tascam audio in Avidemux!

And of course that's if I'm happy with the effing video (I put on facial expressions that can look more tortured than Julian Bream's!) and after about 40 takes of one 2 minute tune!

P.s. I'm not madly enamoured with atonal or semi-atonal music so hopefully you'll forgive me if I don't sound overly enthusiastic about Gilbert's music. The pieces certainly sound well crafted & do seem to exploit some of your guitar's potential. And of course I like your playing very much!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 pm

His music is very tonal. There's nothing atonal about this piece at all.

I use Panasonic camcorder, HCVXF990. I edit the video, importing the soundfile, in Vegas Movie Studio Lite. Yes, it all takes time, but I can do most of it very quickly. It's the final rendering, once I hit the button that says Make Movie, that can take an hour for a five-minute video, but I don't have to watch it do that, and can busy myself with something else.

As for facial expressions, I'm an ugly sod, but it doesn't bother me. Couldn't care less.

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:14 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 pm

I use Panasonic camcorder, HCVXF990. I edit the video, importing the soundfile, in Vegas Movie Studio Lite. Yes, it all takes time, but I can do most of it very quickly. It's the final rendering, once I hit the button that says Make Movie, that can take an hour for a five-minute video, but I don't have to watch it do that, and can busy myself with something else.

As for facial expressions, I'm an ugly sod, but it doesn't bother me. Couldn't care less.
Thanks for that information Rob.

I can see I'll have to listen to the piece again & more carefully & on something other than my phone (so I will).

I might check out Vegas studio light, thanks.

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Kind of like Stephen not exactly my thing I guess. Although I did enjoy it a bit more on the second listen.

Your palying was great and your new guitar sounds lovely.

As far as your facial expressions.... I too have the perfect face for Radio......... thanks for posting!
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Right, I missed this latest video thread completely when it first came up. These are all very fine works thus far. Are there any yet-to-come which are more extrovert, dance-like rhythms? Certainly those would post later, because they would be more challenging to learn and master!

When's a estimated publish date?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Big Bird, thanks for giving it a second listen! Another ten, and you'll be there :-)

David - thanks for the interest. As you guessed, I'm taking the easier ones first, as I get used to the instrument. There are some with a lot of black on the page...Actually, the one I'm working on now, Close (as in close to you), has a distinct George Harrison vibe, his Indian stuff. It turns out Gilbert is a big Harrison fan. So there's variety among the twelve. He's also started some very easy studies, three completed so far, which will help prepare players for using and reading those extra strings.

As for publication...we haven't approached Mel Bay yet - they brought out two books of Gilbert's music this year, one for fretless bass, the other for guitar played with a plectrum. I recorded all the soundfiles for each. However, I was fully-functioning then, but not so now due to osteoarthritis in my fingers (and knees!). So, if I am to record every piece, it could take quite a while. Mel Bay are more likely to publish the book if it has sound files. The fall-back plan is for Gilbert to publish it himself through Amazon, which he has done with other books, but there would be no sound files. I'm okay with that, as the whole point is to get the dots out to players. So, watch this space...

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:12 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 pm
Yes, silly me (again).

I had another listen and the opening Gm chord should have been a give away! It is indeed an attractive piece too and one I might well attempt on my 11 string when I get it - hopefully with little alteration save fingering.

I look forward to hearing the others. Thanks for posting.
Last edited by Conall on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”