Eastwood, Jason - Paranoid Fingertips - Homage a Toni Iommi

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
orbiterred

Eastwood, Jason - Paranoid Fingertips - Homage a Toni Iommi

Post by orbiterred » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Hey!

This is a live performance of a piece written for me by my good friend Jason Eastwood called Paranoid Fingertips. It was taken from an interview with our friend Leanne Arnison on CKDU, Dalhousies college radio station. The piece is an homage to Toni Iommi of Black Sabbath fame, one of Jason and I's favorite guitarists of all time. I played a small role in arranging the piece with Jason over the past few months and we're both quite happy with the results. It's in three movements and Jason explains the movements at the beginning; Thought you guys might enjoy it! If you dont want to download you can stream it online at my site http://www.myspace.com/robreidguitar under CKDU Interview Part 2. It was played with me on a nylon stringer and Jason using a steel, we felt the combination gives it a bit more sinister sound in places. We'll be premiering it live on stage Saturday (April 25th) at 7:30PM in the Dunn Theatre at the Dalhousie Arts Center for anyone in or around Halifax and I'll be performing some solo works as well! Hope you enjoy!

EDIT: Just a note for the mods, I know it's a steel and we're not supposed to, but this is originally scored for two nylons and it's definitely not "folk" music or whatever you want to call it. Classical guitar music, written for classical guitars, by two university classical guitar students :) I've already had a chat with Erik (zurcher) about it and hopefully everything is ok at this point.

Cheers,

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by orbiterred on Tue May 12, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

sxedio

Re: Eastwood, Jason - Paranoid Fingertips - Homage a Toni Iommi

Post by sxedio » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Nice work composing and playing this. Is the occasional augmented fourth meant to be a reference to black sabbath's own music? I did find the arpeggios a bit repetitive/limiting later on, but I guess you are going for a happy medium between art and popular music conventions. You might want to add a [2] to the title to indicate it's a duet. Out of curiosity is the acoustic guitar played with a pick or fingerstyle? Did you write that part with any particular technique/limitations in mind?
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

orbiterred

Post by orbiterred » Mon May 04, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi Sxedio,

Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure about the augmented fourths, the piece was composed by Jason Eastwood for me, he's a composition major here at Dalhousie and also a smoking guitar player. I just played a minor role in suggesting we change a few things in the arrangement. Everything is played fingerstyle on both guitars.

Thanks again,

Rob

orbiterred

Post by orbiterred » Tue May 12, 2009 12:44 am

i talked to mr. eastwood and the augmented fourths (diminished 5ths as iommi would've referred to them as) are definitely in reference to some of sabbaths stuff. Also the diminished chords in the last movement follow the rythmic variations of Iron Man and Sweet Leaf respectively.

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”