Zohourian, Jamal - Sunrise

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Olarte

Zohourian, Jamal - Sunrise

Post by Olarte » Mon May 18, 2009 10:25 pm

Here is the 2nd out of 3 recordings that I made today. These are my first recordings ever after 18 months of CG.

These recordings were made with my Cordoba 45FCE using the built in Fishman electronics, recorded on a Boss MicroBR with no effects added.
02 - Sunrise - Jamal Zohourian.mp3
The other two are at:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39752
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39754
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Olarte on Tue May 19, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sandan

Re: Jamal Zohourian - Sunrise (My First Recordings)

Post by Sandan » Mon May 18, 2009 10:47 pm

Olarte, that's beautiful and superb. :P

I almost forgot about him, he has a nice website full with his arrangments (FREE Downloads). I better go back and check it out again.

San

Pan The Man

Post by Pan The Man » Mon May 18, 2009 11:58 pm

Great job, Ivan! I just started listening to this for the second time. I really like your tempo. I always play it faster because I'm taking a more firey approach, but I really like yours a lot. Much more relaxing than mine. :casque:

~Ted

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Tue May 19, 2009 12:07 am

olarte,

That was delightful! And congrats on your first recordings. :)

fazley

Post by fazley » Tue May 19, 2009 12:24 am

Lovely playing. Well done on your first recording. I am new here and yet to post my first recording. Pretty scary and intimidating.

owl

Post by owl » Tue May 19, 2009 12:44 am

Lovely stuff Ivan... I like this tempo
Keep playing this piece... and play some of more of Jamal's music too... I think his style suits you, and he's written some beautiful pieces that are completely approachable by beginning/intermediate guitarists

Well done... I loved hearing you play this piece :casque:

Joy in the music

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

remmus

Post by remmus » Tue May 19, 2009 1:27 am

What a lovely tune! I would like to hear another recording of this by you in one year. As well as you are playing it now, you will be playing it even better by then.
Very nice Olarte!
:casque:
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Tue May 19, 2009 3:18 am

Thank you so much for the wonderful and encourage comments.

Pan, Owl, Summer and others... your comments mean a lot to me, and certainly push me on to practice harder, and become more relaxed and at ease with my Cordoba guitar.

It's ironic that Recording seems to be so much harder to do than even playing in front of people.

It feels great to finally post some of my recordings to share with you all, and to get your honest and valuable opinion. :)

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue May 19, 2009 3:29 am

NICE! I love the melody, Olarte. :casque: Very romantic. Someday, maybe I will be able to play it,too. (I will have to put it in my music wish book)
Your recordings have a really nice sound quality. Do I understand correctly that your guitar has a built in pickup?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Tue May 19, 2009 3:48 am

lagartija wrote:NICE! I love the melody, Olarte. :casque: Very romantic. Someday, maybe I will be able to play it,too. (I will have to put it in my music wish book)
Your recordings have a really nice sound quality. Do I understand correctly that your guitar has a built in pickup?
Yes the Cordoba 45FCE is a hybrid Classical\Flamenco guitar with built in Fishman electronics. It's great to mess around with "electric guitar sounds" on my Boss MicroBR recorder.

Having the built in pickup is excellent for recording CG without any hiss etc, and you can record a nice clean sounds without effects and having to worry about ambient noise as it only records the output of the line so even though my teenagers were blasting music downstairs, the dog was barking etc, you only hear the guitar sounds! However that's also a drawback as it does pickup every tiny scratch sounds, etc, so it's much less forgiving than recording with a mic.

As for this piece, it's easier than it sounds, you can find it and several other pieces at Jack Zohourian's web site, he is nice enough to post his compositions for free.

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Tue May 19, 2009 4:11 am

What you've posted here is just beautiful Olarte and I thank you and as you know, this piece strikes a special part in heart just now.

I normally don't do this but in your case I will because you have the piece under your fingers and I think you would a appreciate a comment that would make it a bit better..... well, in my opinion anyway.

When I play this piece, I want the bass to come through. What I missed in your interpretation was hearing the bass. Olarte, that's just how I play it.

My personal preferences aside, :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Tue May 19, 2009 4:18 am

Hans W wrote:What you've posted here is just beautiful Olarte and I thank you and as you know, this piece strikes a special part in heart just now.

I normally don't do this but in your case I will because you have the piece under your fingers and I think you would a appreciate a comment that would make it a bit better..... well, in my opinion anyway.

When I play this piece, I want the bass to come through. What I missed in your interpretation was hearing the bass. Olarte, that's just how I play it.

My personal preferences aside, :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Hans
Hans, thank you so much for your opinion. Along with praise I always welcome constructive criticism, and I absolutely agree with you about the bass notes.

Aside from the anxiety of recording, I'm also trying to develop a stronger bass. While I got the fingering down with the AMI fingers pretty well including playing with flesh & nails etc, I still have not found the sweet spot to play as strong with the flesh\nail of my thumb. So I either play bass notes too soft, or too loud enough to create a buzzing type of sound.

My thumbnail is longer than the other fingers yet, I still don't seem to have the right angle where it can make the same type of contact with the string as I can with ami.

Anyway, thanks again for your opinion. Posting here at Delcamp feels like I'm making my own little "world" debut. And I suppose I am, considering that Delcamp is such an international Community.

:merci:

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Tue May 19, 2009 8:18 am

Hello Ivan,

Congratulations! That was lovely—Jamal Zohourian's compositions are very beautiful,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue May 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Aside from the anxiety of recording, I'm also trying to develop a stronger bass. While I got the fingering down with the AMI fingers pretty well including playing with flesh & nails etc, I still have not found the sweet spot to play as strong with the flesh\nail of my thumb. So I either play bass notes too soft, or too loud enough to create a buzzing type of sound.
Hmmmmm.... I seem to have that problem, too! When you find the solution to it, please share. :wink: Even though everyone has to find their own solution, it is a great help to hear how others have solved the same problem; you never know if their solution would work for you. Likewise, if the little light bulb goes off for me, :idea: I'll let you know!
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Evelyn

Re: Zohourian, Jamal - Sunrise

Post by Evelyn » Tue May 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi Ivan,

This is my favorite of your three recordings - as someone wrote earlier, it suits you! Thanks for taking the time to do the recordings. Did it take all day long?

Evelyn

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”