Powell, Baden - Retrato Brasileiro

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
flameproof

Powell, Baden - Retrato Brasileiro

Post by flameproof » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:36 pm

What can be said about this? It's such a fantastic piece of music, and not difficult to play (despite my audible fluffs).

The music is freely available here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wolfgang

Re: Powell, Baden - Retrato Brasileiro

Post by wolfgang » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Love it! Thanks for recording this piece for us, flamey!

:merci: :bravo:

banl

Post by banl » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:43 pm

Nice playing flameproof. It is a beautiful piece, isn't it.

Regards, Bert

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi Flameproof,

Brilliant! I love it!

Your recording sits in my iTunes folder next to those of Bert Alink, Claudio Aiello, Per-Olov Kindgren and Jean-Pierre Salaün. They are all quite different but all are most enjoyable and I plan to keep all of them!

Best wishes, V :D :bravo: :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Thanks all.
Vesuvio wrote:Your recording sits in my iTunes folder next to those of Bert Alink
Who, strangely enough, posted immediately before you.

Bert's version is better than mine, but mine is here and not out there.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:44 pm

flameproof wrote:...Who, strangely enough, posted immediately before you.
Uncanny! I had not spotted that,

All the best, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

banl

Post by banl » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:50 pm

flameproof wrote:Bert's version is better than mine, but mine is here and not out there.
I wouldn't say that, and besides that, a lot may have to do with the recording.

Bert

Aryeh

Post by Aryeh » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi flameproof,

A totally wonderful interpretation, I enjoyed it a lot. You capture Baden's mood and spirit of the piece perfectly.

Thank you very much for sharing! :D :merci:

:bravo:

Aryeh

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:26 pm

Very beautiful :bravo:
:merci:
nok

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:09 am

That was really lovely, Flamey!

:bravo:

Thank you for reminding me about this piece. I have it in a book I must have bought some 30 years ago, but I've forgotten how beautiful it is.

Now that I'm becoming more familiar with your own compositions, it struck me that this sounds very much like something you could have written! I can see where you get your influences.

I haven't heard Bert's recording yet. I'm sure it's more professionally recorded. But, you play so much "in the moment" that while I'm listening to you, I can't imagine anyone playing it with as much warmth and sensitivity as you do.

Thanks for sharing!

Alan

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Thank you nokturong, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Bert, what kit did you use to make your recordings? I just listened again to the version on your website, the sound-quality is really very good indeed.

Aryeh, as you have so sensitively recorded other BP works, your compliments are greatly appreciated, thank you.

Alan, you are (as always) too generous, but thank you for being so.

~~~

I hope I manage to do some justice to this piece, truth is I haven't played it as much as I should, but whenever I do I am enchanted. I rarely annotate my scores, but this one has several comments of what the music is saying to me (and hence what I would like to express) -- they are things like "a memory" or "a promise" -- this piece speaks to me so directly, that sometimes I wonder if my soul is South American.

On the subject of my own pastiches (and you are right, Alan, Retrato Brasileiras (amongst others) has been more than an inspiration to me, more of a model), I think I've done enough Brazil for now, Mexico next...

banl

Post by banl » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Flameproof,

I must have used my Roland VS-840 then, together with an AKG C1000, the guitar was my old Yairi (cedar/braz. rosewood). The VS-840 is a big beast of a recorder, but it has only a very small recording capacity, just 100Mb on ZIP-drive (all muscles, no brain :) ). Afterwards I did some noise removal and normalising, I don't know what program I used for that. I still use the same microphone, but now in combination with a Micro BR and Bernabe guitar. For those interested (Alan maybe), here is my recording: http://www.sound click.com/bands/page_so ... ID=5145467

licaptn

Post by licaptn » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:50 pm

Very nicely played, Flamey.

Thanks for sharing.

licaptn

syncopation

Post by syncopation » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:34 pm

Thank you so very much Flameproof that was beautiful.

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:07 pm

Bert, didn't see your reply, thanks. I have an H4, I get the feeling I'm not making the best of it. I need to experiment with mic-placement, the room I record in, and EQ.

Also, thank you for the kind comments, licaptn ans syncopation.

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”