Volak, Albert - Two Short Pieces

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Guitar Slim

Volak, Albert - Two Short Pieces

Post by Guitar Slim » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:29 am

These two pieces were a Christmas present from my uncle, Albert Volak, presented to me in 1977. The complete title is Two Pieces Written Especially for Chris Volak. They include "Minuet" and "Homage to Debussy". They are beautifully simple pieces, but not necessarily easy to play. I hope to post the scores as well, if any are interested.

Albert Volak is a retired firefighter from northeastern Ohio. My teacher from the ages of 6 to 14, he is a largely self-taught musician -- although he did take a few lessons here and there and attended some general music classes at the Cleveland Institute of Music. Alas, these are two of only three classical-guitar pieces he ever wrote -- or at least, that he'll admit to writing.

Needless to say, these pieces have always been near and dear to my heart. As far as I know, they've never been performed in public or heard outside of the family -- until now. They are posted here with the express permission of the composer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Guitar Slim on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perfecto De Castro

Post by Perfecto De Castro » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:52 am

Beautiful!!! Both the music and the playing!

:bravo:

hav

Post by hav » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:35 am

yes - these are very nice GS -- are the scores available?

jeff carter

Post by jeff carter » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:44 pm

Wow -what a wonderful Christmas present! These piece are very pretty! Your playing sounded great -very musical and dynamic, and I really like your tone. Thanks for sharing!

--Jeff

mike_hudson

Christmas Present

Post by mike_hudson » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:05 pm

Good Morning Chris ~ what a glorious present for you from your uncle - and what a lovely gift for the International Classical Guitar Community :merci: I just got up, fixed coffee and came into my study with the paper. I thought - well, I'll just check the forum first. This was the first post I played and I've played it through 4 times. Thank you and Im sure you will have requests from the forum for the score. Way out of my league but not the listening :casque: Have a great weekend, Mike

guitarteacher

Post by guitarteacher » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:35 pm

Beautiful :merci:

otik

Post by otik » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:45 pm

very beautiful compositions! & beautifully played also!

Nathanael

Post by Nathanael » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:14 pm

Just beautiful! I like the way that the second piece ascends; it seems to me like it needs to keep going one more note but it falls back creating a very interesting feeling in the piece. Also played very professionally :)
Thanks

john_mark

Post by john_mark » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:33 pm

Super compositions! I particularly liked the Debussy piece, he just nailed his style. Scores please!

Guitar Slim

Post by Guitar Slim » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:18 pm

As promised, I've uploaded the scores. These are published with permission, any commercial use without the consent of the composer is prohibited.

And thanks again for all of your kind comments and encouragements.

Mike, I've heard you play, these are not out of your league at all! Give them a shot if you really like them, I'm sure you will be able to handle them!

charlesivey

Post by charlesivey » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:26 pm

Once again... great stuff GS!!!

Two very different and beautiful pieces that you played superbly. Great listening music -- thanks.

A hint of Baroque with contemporation and a tribute to Debussy that was spot on target -- your uncle is obviously talented.

:merci:
CI

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler" A. Einstein

owl

Post by owl » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:16 am

Gosh Chris!... I nearly missed these... I hate dial up with a passion!

They are just lovely... and played beautifully by you :flowers:
I so enjoyed this music... and thanks so much for the scores :chitarrista:
:merci: for sharing these special pieces

Joy in the music
Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

moramajor

precious gift

Post by moramajor » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:41 am

Guitar Slim,

Wonderful pieces and, for me, the first specially. Well played too. Congratulations !!!

Paulo César - Brazil

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:10 pm

Hello GS

I just returned home to my broadband connection and am still "catching up"... These are both beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing your "Christmas presents" with your friends!! (I also loved the video you did with hav and Perf)

thank so much!

a

mcozner

Post by mcozner » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:48 pm

very nice and particular :D well played as well!!!

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”