Powell, Baden - Valse Sem Nome

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Cheshire

Powell, Baden - Valse Sem Nome

Post by Cheshire » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:21 am

Hi, this is my first submission to the MP3 section of the site. I was turned on to Powell by Aryeh's excellent version of this song. I'm still getting used to this tune, haven't quite warmed up to it yet, so this mp3 is definitely a work in progress, and to be honest I'm a little embarrassed by this recording... but it's the best I can do at the moment, and hopefully I'll have a newer version up soon.

In the mean time, all comments and critique would be very welcome. :) Thanks!

[UPDATE: Uploaded a new version that adds the notes I skipped :mrgreen:, and also attempts to address the critiques made by Bert (aka banl). Starts off rough (playing might actually be a little sloppier!), but I just had to fix the missing notes.... at least this version "breathes" better, so I'm a little happier with it]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cheshire on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

banl

Re: Powell, Baden - Valse Sem Nome

Post by banl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:21 am

Hi Rajeev, don't be embarrassed, no need to be. You're doing quite well. I like how freely you play the piece. Tone is okay too. My point of critique lies in the first two notes. I had to rewind because it sounded really weird to me. I may be one who is stretching them out too much, You play them way too fast IMO. Don't rush those two notes. I also seem to be missing some bars after the fast notes at 0:34.

Regards, Bert

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:28 am

bloody h... I am missing notes! I seem to have the structure of the song a little jumbed up :oops: Yes, I agree about the first two notes. That bothers me too. Thanks for the critique!

banl

Post by banl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:52 am

Well then, here is my version http://sound click.com/share?songid=4986095.

The two versions I have by Baden Powell are also very different from each other. The one on "Estudos" may well be the basis for our versions. The one on "Rio das Valsas" is very different, with an extra intro and other big changes. They can be found on iTunes store, for those interested.

Bert

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:57 am

Hey Bert, I've uploaded a new version based on your critique. For some reason this recording sounds a little boxier than the last. Mic placement, maybe... anyway, thanks for sharing your own version. It almost sounds like a different song, the feeling is so different. I dig it. :D

I actually haven't heard either version of this played by Powell yet (I wanted to develop my own interpretation from the sheet music directly), so I'll have to look up both versions.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:20 am

Good morning Rajeev,

Thank you very much for sharing this with us. I have really enjoyed your playing—you sound utterly transported by the music and that love come shining through,

Best wishes, V :D :bravo: :merci:

PS A huge thank you for naming your track correctly! I have too many MP3s that do not display the performer's name (I usually dive in and add it but sometimes I forget). It adds to my listening pleasure if I know who is playing. :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:47 am

Hi Rajeev.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece by Baden. I quite liked your interpretation, even though as you said it is a work in progress. I myself have never finished a piece, so everything I have ever posted is work in progress too :lol:

As a listener I found some of the pauses you put in after some phrases rather too long. A bit like you would go for a nice walk and stop on occasion because you reached a junction and are looking around or on your map, puzzled about which path to follow next. Maybe you wont stop or hesitate on your next walk? Or probably you are feeling the music differently than I am.

Apart from that, I'm right now listening again and enjoying your rendition again :casque: Kudos.

Best wishes
Wolfgang

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:07 pm

V & Wolfgang, thanks for the kind words! :)
Vesuvio wrote:PS A huge thank you for naming your track correctly! I have too many MP3s that do not display the performer's name (I usually dive in and add it but sometimes I forget). It adds to my listening pleasure if I know who is playing. :)
Yeah, I often rename the tracks that I download from here so I can keep them organized, and I figured I wasn't the only one. So I'm glad to have saved someone the trouble (and I'm happy you feel the track is worth keeping).
wolfgang wrote:Hi Rajeev.
As a listener I found some of the pauses you put in after some phrases rather too long. A bit like you would go for a nice walk and stop on occasion because you reached a junction and are looking around or on your map, puzzled about which path to follow next. Maybe you wont stop or hesitate on your next walk? Or probably you are feeling the music differently than I am.
Well it was around 3 in the morning when I recorded, so my mind probably was taking little breaks here and there. :mrgreen: Actually, the pauses give me trouble, and are one of the reasons I posted for critique. I was wondering how listeners would tolerate them and was hoping to get some feedback on them. Too long and too frequent, probably. I'll have to make some adjustments. Thanks for the critique!

licaptn

Post by licaptn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Rajeev,

Beautiful piece. Beautiful playing!

I thouroughly enjoyed listening.

:bravo:

licaptn

banl

Post by banl » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:30 am

Rajeev, are you using the score from http://www.brazil-on-guitar.de? I was still wondering about those first two notes and downloaded that version. It gives them as eight notes, like you play them. My version (Bossa et Samba no. 4, Publication Alain Pierson) starts with two quarter notes, of which the second has a fermata. I think that is closer to Baden Powell's version and also a more logical start of the piece, starting at the first beat of the measure.

When comparing versions I noticed that my first quarter note is longer than the second. :oops: Sometimes you have to go back to see what changes (and errors) you make in a piece.

Regards, Bert

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:53 pm

licaptn, thanks! :D It really is a beautiful piece, and I plan on adopting more of Powell's works as time goes by.

Bert, you're right about the score. I recently modified the way I play the piece once again, playing the first note as an 8th, notes 2-4 as quarters, and putting a heavy accent/emphasis on the 2nd note... but the fermata followed by 8th notes sounds good too. Less weighty, more lively. I plan on re-uploading soon-ish, and I'm not sure which one I'll go with. Thanks for pointing that out!

jurica_c

Post by jurica_c » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 am

So gently played. Thank you.

Jurica

goodtone

Post by goodtone » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:57 pm

thanks Rajeev, what a great sound. You've inspired me. Looking forward to getting home and giving my baden powell arrangements a go.
:bye:

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”