Schuttenhelm, Thomas - Inscape - ii. Cadenza - Video

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Nick Cutroneo

Schuttenhelm, Thomas - Inscape - ii. Cadenza - Video

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:33 am

Hey everyone. A week or so ago, I did a warm-up recital for my concert in Italy in July. I had previously posted the Sor Sonata that I played on this concert (Here: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 29&t=50718).

This piece is the 2nd of 3 movements simply titled "Cadenza". The piece was composed by American composer Thomas Schuttenhelm (from CT). He wrote these program notes about the piece:
"Inscape is a term commonly used in the visual arts to describe an interior landscape. The 2nd movement-- Cadenza, reflects this concept most concretelly as it is both the interior movement of the three, and the most introspective of the collection. Alternatively, the first and third movements use a deliberately accessible style (groove based rhythms, regular phrase structure, strong melodic profiles, etc) to represent an extroverted position. On the whole the succession of movements represents a journey whereby the musical style mirrors the poetic content."
Here's the 2nd movement:

This is posted with the permission of the composer.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Vesuvio

Re: Schuttenhelm, Thomas: Inscape - ii. Cadenza

Post by Vesuvio » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:22 am

Hi Nick,

This is powerful material, thank you for sharing your recording,

Best wishes, V :D :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Nick Cutroneo

Re: Schuttenhelm, Thomas - Inscape - ii. Cadenza

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks for watching (both movements). I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to learning the 1st movement when I get back from Italy. I'm very big on new music as it can be very challenging for an audience to listen to. Tom's music, I feel, while very intellectual and musically complex is easily digestible, which makes it great for people who've never heard contemporary music to enjoy.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”