Jason Vieaux

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
johnd

Jason Vieaux

Post by johnd » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Saw some old post about taking online lessons from Jason and it looks good. Anyone out there with recent experience?
I live in the OKC area of Oklahoma USA and am finding it difficult to find a teacher of classic guitar. I have been teaching myself for the last two years and I am afraid I have taught myself all I know!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:

guit-box

Re: Jason Vieaux

Post by guit-box » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:41 am

I did one semester online with Artists Works. It was a good deal then, not sure what it costs now. I would do another semester sometime if the price was fair. I like Tonebase because you get way more than one perspective, but the AW site with Jason has more of a logical beginner to advanced lesson plan.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:23 pm

I like Artist Works in general and took a few of those Jason Vieaux classes. In general though I have a strong preference for Classical Guitar Corner Academy. I like the way it's laid out, I like the lessons, etc. You may want to give it a look as well.
Bastien Burlot "Alkemia" SP/IN, Dominique Delarue CD/MB, Stephan Connor SP/MP, Kenneth Brogger SP/AR, Sergio Perez "Segovia" CD/AR, Kris Barnett "phi" CD/EB, Lorenzo Frignani SP/IR, Dieter Müller Double Top CD/MR

johnd

Post by johnd » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:58 pm

What I like about Jason according to his web site is you make videos of your playing and send them to him He critiques them and sends you a lesson plan to help your weaknesses. Not sure what how long it takes for his response.

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 pm

johnd wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:58 pm
What I like about Jason according to his web site is you make videos of your playing and send them to him He critiques them and sends you a lesson plan to help your weaknesses. Not sure what how long it takes for his response.
That’s the gist of it but I’ll add some clarifications. There are a large number of pre-recorded videos of lessons and performances. They are well made, although some of the lessons are quite short and are really just some tips on how to approach the piece, rather than a step-by-step guide on how to play it.

In addition, you can upload videos to get feedback on your playing. When I was a member the waiting time was very variable depending on Jason’s concert schedule and sometimes it took a few weeks to get a response. He now has an assistant, Colin Davin, who answers some of the videos so I think the response time has improved. I’d say the quality of the responses is generally high and they vary in length. Sometimes you get a detailed response, others times a short response with one or two points.

My overall feeling is that Artistworks is no longer as good value as it used to be and has now been superseded by better competitors like Tonebase for advanced players and Classical Guitar Corner for beginner/intermediate players.

johnd

Post by johnd » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Thank you everyone. I like the idea of being able to submit videos. As everyone knows there of a great number of free and pay for lessons on the internet but it is hard for a person to evaluate their technique without knowing what the left hand and right hand are doing or are suppose to be doing.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 pm

The sad reality is internet and machines are replacing human and Average Joe who have majored in guitar might not make a living teaching in the future.

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:50 am

Terpfan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 pm
The sad reality is internet and machines are replacing human and Average Joe who have majored in guitar might not make a living teaching in the future.
I don’t necessarily think that’s true. The same might have been said when people began making tuition videos on VHS then later on DVD. There will always be a market for one-to-one tuition because it remains the best way to learn, especially for beginners.

khayes

Post by khayes » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Rasqeo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:50 am
Terpfan wrote:
I don’t necessarily think that’s true. The same might have been said when people began making tuition videos on VHS then later on DVD. There will always be a market for one-to-one tuition because it remains the best way to learn, especially for beginners.
I agree Rasqeo. Some people just don't have access to a good teacher, or maybe cannot afford one. Being an 'Average Joe' who majored in guitar is not necessarily a good teacher.
Ken

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:02 pm

khayes wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:08 pm
Rasqeo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:50 am
Terpfan wrote:
I agree Rasqeo. Some people just don't have access to a good teacher, or maybe cannot afford one. Being an 'Average Joe' who majored in guitar is not necessarily a good teacher.
That's my point.

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:05 am

Having done both Artistworks and Classical Guitar Corner I would recommend CGC, especially for beginners through intermediate. The Artistworks classes seem more tailored for advanced students, although I did not get that far with it. CGC starts out simple and moves ahead in small steps. I think it's a better way to progress.

robert e

Post by robert e » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Regarding these online schools--are there any tools or procedures to evaluate one's level or otherwise where to jump in? And is one able to jump in anywhere or must one start at the beginning of a level, however that's defined?

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:07 pm

robert e wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:50 pm
Regarding these online schools--are there any tools or procedures to evaluate one's level or otherwise where to jump in? And is one able to jump in anywhere or must one start at the beginning of a level, however that's defined?
That’s one of the main negatives with Artistworks. There is no structure or curriculum as such, other than grouping the
‘lessons’ as Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. You’re expected to just dive in, submit a video and go from there. I don’t think this is optimal for beginners who need much more guidance from the start. Although I haven’t used CGC from what I hear it seems there may be more guidance there.

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:58 am

Regarding robert e's question, in CGC you can jump in anywhere you like. But it's easy to start at lesson 1 and move ahead very quickly. e.g. if you already understand 4/4 time, you can watch a short video (or not), mark it complete and move on. Or you can just skip it and go on. I found I usually learned something even with lessons I thought I already knew.

robert e

Post by robert e » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Thank you Rob and Rasqeo for your insight. You inspired me to take a closer look at all three.

As you say, CGC offers the most structure and guidance, starting at beginner level. If I'm understanding correctly, it is also the only one of the three offering live interaction, grade exams or level-appropriate technical challenges. There's even a summer camp in Massachusettes (which sounds amazing). Not surprisingly, most expensive of the three at first glance, but my impression is the cost is inclusive for all the online features, and if one wants this kind of content, guidance and interaction, it's the only game. Depending on how well these features are implemented, seems like a bargain. I don't know who runs the live performance seminars. The live coaching staff is listed. There's a 7 day trial and 30 day guarantee.

What's most unique about artist works is Jason Vieaux of course, as well as other celebrities teaching other styles and instruments, which, depending on how easy it is to switch or engage with different courses, could be a great feature for some people, but I don't know if that's even possible. If one wants online lessons from any of these people, it's the only way, but I've heard concerning things about the turnaround time. For what it offers, it's a bargain, but not for everyone, and not for beginners that I can see. No trial/guarantee I can find, so about $100 to try?

Tonebase looks like the least expensive* at first, but it seems the interactive video-exchange sessions are an additional charge per session, and I cannot find how much they cost. Per-session charge could be a plus for some, minus for others. If the "faculty" is constantly rotating, is it possible to stay with the same teacher?** Not for beginners. 7 day trial and 30 day guarantee.

*Fixed typo. It used to say "least inexpensive". **Edited for clarity.
Last edited by robert e on Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”