Some helpful videos

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Some helpful videos

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi folks,

I recently visited Siccas Guitars in Germany and we did something a little different to the normal format of simply playing pieces on amazing guitars, sure we did some of that too but I thought it would be useful to talk a little about about ways to improve playing and practice.

I hope you find some of the ideas and exercises useful.

Best wishes,

Matthew :D
mmexercises
About filing nails and quality of sound.

Technique Advice: The Left Hand.

Practising musically.

Hotsoup

Re: Some helpful videos

Post by Hotsoup » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Watched these this morning and especially enjoyed "practicing musically". I don't do that enough..

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks for posting these videos, Matthew. :bravo: :merci: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Fantastic Matthew. Thank you for doing this and a big thanks to Mirco and Manuel Sicca.

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:52 pm

Nice post, Matthew. You seem to be a nice person (and very dedicated :-) )

Thanks for sharing

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:02 pm

ThomasW wrote:...You seem to be a nice person (and very dedicated :-) )

Thanks for sharing
Hey Matthew, take notice! :lol: Your videos should be compulsory to watch for all members of Delcamp!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Most wonderful my friend! You demonstrated that you are not only a skilled player but also a skilled teacher of our instrument. I know these skills are the result of talent but also the result of many hour of hard work. I was pleased to see that some of the ideas you presented I am utilizing and applying and also got many new things to think about and apply. Heartfelt thanks for presenting these videos. I hope they are the first of many!
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

mc1

Post by mc1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:50 am

i really enjoyed those, and can only hope you do more. very helpful.

i'm often amazed at the number of ways any piece or even phrase can be played. it's so staggering i try not to get immobilized.

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Glad the videos are helping. :-)

walfordr

Post by walfordr » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Excellent.

I particularly like the video on practising musically. Something that I don't think gets enough coverage and is easily overlooked amongst the thousands of technique videos.

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:34 pm

walfordr wrote:Excellent.

I particularly like the video on practising musically. Something that I don't think gets enough coverage and is easily overlooked amongst the thousands of technique videos.
:D

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:13 am

Nice videos, Matthew! I definitely will be trying out that barre exercise in the left hand technique video. :-D
With my string spacing, it always seems that in the three string barre, one of the strings falls in the crease of my joint. The index finger has a ...er "bump" on the side so turning it to avoid the crease doesn't work for me. Maybe with this exercise I can refine that technique a bit more and solve that problem. I find it most frustrating when I need to have the D string ringing...and the high E drops into the crease of the joint as I barre the three trebles. :roll:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:38 am

lagartija wrote:Nice videos, Matthew! I definitely will be trying out that barre exercise in the left hand technique video. :-D
With my string spacing, it always seems that in the three string barre, one of the strings falls in the crease of my joint. The index finger has a ...er "bump" on the side so turning it to avoid the crease doesn't work for me. Maybe with this exercise I can refine that technique a bit more and solve that problem. I find it most frustrating when I need to have the D string ringing...and the high E drops into the crease of the joint as I barre the three trebles. :roll:
Yes barre is difficult for sure and when the string falls into the finger crease it is frustrating. The best thing about this exercise is that it should help you build up an awareness of incrementily applying the pressure with the barre finger. It might help you develop a keener sense of finger placement and more flexibility with the application of the barre's pressure. Hopefully this can help you avoid the crease or apply the pressure only when you really need it.

Good luck! :-)

Farid Yousefi

Post by Farid Yousefi » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:44 am

Thank you very much Matthew
I thought it would be useful to talk a little about about ways to improve playing and practice
Your thought was very helpful . Please think like that again and about some other techniques .
:merci:

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi Matthew, I want to share some thoughts and comments. I've heard about and tried the nail filing method on the strings before but didn't find it superior to using an ordinary file and sand papers. My reason is that we don't stick to an only angle of plucking but change it accordingly to the techniques, i.e. rest stroke, finger alternation, tremolo, etc, so if the method were to create the "ideal" nail shape for the filing angle, it wouldn't for the other playing angles. Secondly, the method is actually trying to create a shape of minimum resistance of the string to the nail, which can be good or bad for the sound. I think if you understand your nails enough and you know what to expect from them, a normal file still does the work well. However it's worth to give the filing-on-the-G-string method a try and see if you like it.

Some minor comments to the videos. I like the natural sound of your playing as in the second video more than the processed ones in the other (too much reverb to my ears). One more thing, in the second video, at 2:30 you criticize rotating the elbow away when going across the fretboard, exaggerate it and demonstrate the correct technique very well. However when speeding up, when you exert less conscious control on the arm and the fingers, you do rotate the elbow :D. You can compare the slow version from 6:03 to 6:11 and the faster version from 7:07 to 7:10 to see that. I don't say doing it is right but it reminds me of the debate "knuckle vs middle joint" in another thread, where some famous performers demonstrate one thing and actually do the opposite in real playing.

Other than those, the videos are really helpful, especially the practicing musically. I think many people are putting too much weight on practicing mechanical techniques, but forgetting they're trying to make music as well.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”