Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
DaveLeeNC

Re: Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner ?

Post by DaveLeeNC » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Thu May 12, 2016 2:13 am
Just to nudge this thread in another direction, Simon Powis is also a founding member of Cathedral Parkway, a New York based trio with singer Caroline Eckman and guitarist Colin Davin. They released a CD last year. It’s called “Howl at the Moon,” and you can find it “on the river.” Here’s a video of one of their songs:

[media]https://youtu.be/tSZxcUTewcU[/media]
I have this CD. It’s quite good.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Kind of an old post that I am responding to, but it is interesting that Colin Davin (mandolin) is also a classical guitar instructor at the online lessons site Artistworks. He is a highly skilled classical guitar player, BTW. I wonder if Caroline Eckman also gives online vocal lessons :-)

dave
2014 Ashley Sanders Spruce/Ash Burl
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

rinneby

Re: Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner ?

Post by rinneby » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:18 am

DaveLeeNC wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 pm
Tom Poore wrote:
Thu May 12, 2016 2:13 am
Just to nudge this thread in another direction, Simon Powis is also a founding member of Cathedral Parkway, a New York based trio with singer Caroline Eckman and guitarist Colin Davin. They released a CD last year. It’s called “Howl at the Moon,” and you can find it “on the river.” Here’s a video of one of their songs:

[media]https://youtu.be/tSZxcUTewcU[/media]
I have this CD. It’s quite good.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Kind of an old post that I am responding to, but it is interesting that Colin Davin (mandolin) is also a classical guitar instructor at the online lessons site Artistworks. He is a highly skilled classical guitar player, BTW. I wonder if Caroline Eckman also gives online vocal lessons :-)

dave
Great performance. The verse sounds a little like Guns n Roses "Sweet child of mine" doesn't it ? :)

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Officer Friendly

Re: Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner?

Post by Officer Friendly » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:29 am

Can anyone tell me if it’s worth getting the annual membership or is the monthly deal sufficient enough??

aba

Post by aba » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:19 pm

The monthly deal won't give free access to all the recources (As an Annual Member you will have access to all of the course books that are normally available for purchase in the online store). You will have to pay for each course book and you may not do the certificate course.

I would really recommend the annual membership.

Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Doug, at the time of my posting this inquiry, it appears you are similarly online. Your comments on Simon Powis' program were posted 2 years ago, so I am wondering if you have any additional insights about the program.

I intend to start D01 on Delcamp this coming Fall 2018. With limited time, I am wondering if signing up for both Delcamp and Powis would create conflicts vis-a-vis time commitments, or did you find the two programs complementary.

When assessments are conducted on the Powis site, there also seems to be a similar requirement to post a certain piece. However, It seems that a student's music piece posting is a one-off event, at the time a student is completing a certain level. The level of student interactivity (at each Delcamp level) is quite impressive and ongoing. I am just wondering how the Powis forum compares.

If I am positing too many questions, I apologize. My main inquiry is whether the two sites are complementary or 'competitive' (for time resources).

Thanks, Judy.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi Judy,
I’m a Delcamp student and not a Powis student, but I enjoy his podcasts and web site. If a student is a beginner who spends maybe :45 min a few days a week practicing, there may be a conflict for the limited time. But if you are more motivated than average and have the luxury of time, you’ll find yourself exploring on your own beyond the Delcamp monthly assignments. I always have a couple pieces I’m working on ourside of the lessons. You’ll have more interaction with the Powis lessons from knowledgeable teachers which may be valuable for a beginner too if you need basic technique coaching. I’m looking at his intermediate/advanced levels to see if they are ready yet to supplement what I’m doing. I also really like the idea of his “master class” series. Adding Gohar and Kevin to his team are great too. I’d certainly like more interaction/access with JFD than he is able to offer.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Rick, thank you for so kindly replying to my inquiry. Even though I am now a retiree, the luxury of time seems to continue to escape my grasp. I think a reasonable expectation for me, at best, is likely practices of 45 min, 4-5 days a week. I can see how students become very focused on perfecting the repertoire pieces assigned. I plan on doing that. I am not sure at my beginner stage, that that is such a sub-optimal tactic.

I think maybe the best approach is to initially see how I do with solely focusing on the Delcamp forum, and take it from there.

Thank you again, Rick. Best, Judy.

johnvsavage

Post by johnvsavage » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:10 am

I've been a member of CGC Academy for the last two years working through levels 2 & 3 & level 4 materials. It does cater for absolute beginners but some real 'face to face' is probably advisable at that early stages for the majority of beginners. Most members are mature adults and have played to varying degrees in the past. It is, no doubt, one of the better online courses with well structured materials, video lessons, regular participant live online sessions, assessment, peer reviews, expert reviews, duet audio materials, regular podcasts on a broad range of relevant topics, and an annual summer school in the U.S. Membership has swollen to around 1000 now so Simon Powis has increased the number of teachers to suit.

Nick Trapani

Post by Nick Trapani » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 am

I too am a member of CGC and also think a beginner such as myself will find level ! slow going without some additional lessons. I tried without lessons, and finally decided on lessons as well and after only two lessons I find a marked improvement in my progress. Another resource which I find invaluable is Bradford Werner's This is Classical Guitar, he offers a free 100 page method book which is very good for beginners. He has excellent videos on every lesson as well as many other useful tips.

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:46 am

This looks interesting. I've seen a few comments on the thread about the price, but even his premium package is less than half of what private lessons would cost for a year. My boyfriend charges a $100 a month flat fee, and that's for the slot... no refunds. So I think it's very reasonable if it's any good. Right now I'm making good progress with Noad's book and some help from my boyfriend, but if I start to stall out I might consider it.

PuraVida

Post by PuraVida » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Hello to all,
I have been following this thread for sometime and I am like some others, debating between Simon Powis- Classical guitar Corner vs Allen Matthews Classical guitar shed. I have been taking face to face lessons for about a year and while these have helped me dramatically, budget being what it is I am at crossroads deciding to go the online route. This thread has covered some differences but can anyone offer direct thoughts as to how these courses are structured that is, are they setup in such manner that a student can follow and progress naturally and logically or does one need to create their own path? Any thoughts and I hope my question is clear as mud.

aba

Post by aba » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:17 pm

I have been a CGC member for one year and did the level 1 and 2 courses. They are really well structured in my opinion, just follow the path Simon has pointed out for you... You can skip lessons, or repeat lessons as you wish, but the path is clear and you can keep track on the CGC website.
I have no experience with Allen Mathews course. My budget was the reason to stop with CGC but maybe I will join again some day or I'll join the free Delcamp course (looks good also).

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:12 pm

I've read through the discussion but I am still ab ti confused and have a couple of questions about CGC.
Do they have a "starting date" like, say, the 1 of September, or pupils can join at any moment?
What does the course actually consist of? Do I get it right that you get the books and videos and that is that?
How is your progress evaluated? Do you have to post recordings or meet your teacher via Skype or something?
I'd be grateful if someone could clarify that for me.
Yamaha SLG N100

doug

Post by doug » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:45 pm

There is not a specified start date. You begin when you sign up. The materials are comprised of both videos and written materials. There are also many podcasts, of varying subject matter, that are very interesting. You may ask questions, to both the 'staff' and the other members, and you will get answers. The work is divided into levels, and you can work at whatever level you wish....everything is available to you. There are certificate courses for each level. Simon encourages members to have a progress journal. There are also occasional live broadcasts, and you may participate in them if you wish.....or you can just watch. You are encouraged to make videos of your playing and submit them, but it is not required.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

johnvsavage

Post by johnvsavage » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:52 pm

Simon Powis' CGC Academy is a lot more comprehensive than Guitar Shed in my opinion and it is only getting better. In addition to the above, CGC 'office hours' has a range of teachers assigned (one at a time) and available via video link most days of the week. CGC even run a summer school!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”