Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Sean Sirpkowski

Re: Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner?

Post by Sean Sirpkowski » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:02 am

Has anyone taken both Classical Guitar Corner and Delcamp lessons and could compare them? I like what I see on both websites but I'd love to make an informed decision before investing months of effort into one of them (or LAGA or....)

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Delcamp’s graded repertoire library is great and free. The monthly lessons are really just demonstrations of exercises and pieces. The process of preparing a lesson and recording is good practice. And the feedback from peers in your class from around the world is an unexpected benefit. But you do not receive real instruction or specific feedback from a teacher on Delcamp. Teachers seldom check in. The final test is juried by a number of teachers in France, but you get no specific critique on your performamce. Feedback is a key to improvement, especially for a beginner.

You might also look at Douglas Niedt’s lessons. He’s been doing it online as long as anyone and his lessons are very good. I purchased his lesson on Capricho Arabe and it was great. He doesn’t push his way, but introduces you to various fingering options and interpretive ideas while sticking with the correct rhythm and the score. He does have skype lessons I think.

Avoid the “place your third finger on the second string third fret and your fourth finger...” type sites. These are mind numbingly boring.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:21 pm

For more advanced students and professionals, the lessons on tone-base are very high-level and are only $9 a month, a real deal, with several world-class guitarists taking part!
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Sean Sirpkowski wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:02 am
Has anyone taken both Classical Guitar Corner and Delcamp lessons and could compare them? I like what I see on both websites but I'd love to make an informed decision before investing months of effort into one of them (or LAGA or....)
I tried both the classical guitar shed and the classical guitar corner and stuck with CGC.
I like both Allen Mathews and Simon Powis teaching style but Over all I liked CGC better. There is a lot more content on CGC, I won't go into detail because it's already been discussed a number of times. the CGC community is great and always willing to help. I have no regrets in my choice of CGC.

I had been signed up for the delcamp lessons but dropped them as they are more like the self learning that I was already doing on my own.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”