Tips for playing without marks on 5th , 7th frets

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Luis_Br

Re: Tips for playing without marks on 5th , 7th frets

Post by Luis_Br » Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 am

Carlevaro book 3 exercises (hand positioning) with closed eyes.

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Sat May 19, 2018 6:50 pm

It's difficult at first visually to grasp a moderately sizable number of objects- like frets, or fret spacings-- with any precision and quick apprehension about how many there are- in fact, without it simply looking like a vague "many" as a number. That human limitation would seem to be the basis for primitive cultures' counting systems which consists of "one, two. three, many", so, the "moderate" alluded to above does not have to be very large. It is, though, pretty easy to distinguish between two and three. So, start out by trying to be aware of the fifth fret not as number five, but as number three beyond two, or the reverse. Build strategies from there- you'll find it works from a capoed or non-capoed perspective. The following works for the fingerboard generally, the capo not applying: One of my teachers once told me that one of his teachers had told him that the seventh fret was the one that, when forming a bar on it, the tip of the first finger looks like its pointed right into your face. Of course, this is predicated upon what are the exactitudes of your sitting position, and the trouble with the advice, according to what my teacher then said to me, is that it always looked to him like there were about forty frets on which the barred first finger appeared to take on that aspect. Nevertheless, I found it to work. And it worked for the seventh fret. Try to find if that's your "bar points you in the face" fret.

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Tue May 22, 2018 1:52 pm

I keep the dots in their place and simply learn where they are relative to the capo i.e. I just get used to having 2nd and 4th fret dots with a 3rd fret capo.

My teacher told me a story about how he tried to play without dots, and his teacher said that it would be a fun experiment right up until he messed up on stage, and that he'd never do it again after. Why not skip the mistake and go straight to lesson learned?
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Annalu Braga

Post by Annalu Braga » Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 am

guitareleven wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:50 pm
It's difficult at first visually to grasp a moderately sizable number of objects- like frets, or fret spacings-- with any precision and quick apprehension about how many there are- in fact, without it simply looking like a vague "many" as a number. That human limitation would seem to be the basis for primitive cultures' counting systems which consists of "one, two. three, many", so, the "moderate" alluded to above does not have to be very large. It is, though, pretty easy to distinguish between two and three. So, start out by trying to be aware of the fifth fret not as number five, but as number three beyond two, or the reverse. Build strategies from there- you'll find it works from a capoed or non-capoed perspective. The following works for the fingerboard generally, the capo not applying: One of my teachers once told me that one of his teachers had told him that the seventh fret was the one that, when forming a bar on it, the tip of the first finger looks like its pointed right into your face. Of course, this is predicated upon what are the exactitudes of your sitting position, and the trouble with the advice, according to what my teacher then said to me, is that it always looked to him like there were about forty frets on which the barred first finger appeared to take on that aspect. Nevertheless, I found it to work. And it worked for the seventh fret. Try to find if that's your "bar points you in the face" fret.
This is a wonderful tip. I´ll try it if works with me.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”