In search of Steven Dodgson studies

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
crazyrach97

In search of Steven Dodgson studies

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:48 pm

So after a suggestion from Rob yesterday I did some listening and some research, and I want to get Dodgson's collections of guitar studies. He did several with Hector Quine and one with Richard Wright. I'm searching around and finding them mostly in anthologies in twos and threes. Does anyone know where I can find them all in one place, or at least buy the individual collections as standalones?

RobMacKillop

Re: In search of Steven Dodgson studies

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:20 pm

I wish I could help you, but I can't. About 30 years ago I had a collection of ten or twelve, but haven't seen it for almost as long. Good luck!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Found them. PM sent.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:32 pm

12 Introductory Studies
12 Transitional Studies
20 Studies, Book 1
20 Studies, Book 2

All published by Recordi - all still under copyright - all still in print - all available online.

In the UK from spanishguitar.com (guitarnotes - the online service of Nottingham Spanish Guitar Centre).
They ship overseas if you can't find a distributor in the states.

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks guys... and especially a shout to Rob, who hooked me up with the links. The only thing I see missing are the four solo pieces he did in collaboration with Richard Wright, which are reputed to be the simplest. I can only find them in larger anthologies that I'm not entirely sold on. BTW if you want a good read I got my info from:

http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/3356/1/u ... 431999.pdf

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks in return for that link. I'll spend some time reading it. I might also spend some time revisiting his works, starting with the Transitional Studies.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:23 pm

You might also enjoy Ten Simple Preludes by Reginald Smith Brindle, which go from very easy to Grade 4 of the Associated Board system. They have been described thusly:

These works employ and variety of musical textures, some of which look, but do not sound like guitar music of the 19th century. None has a clear tonic and the final chords are indeterminate though this shouldn't sound strange to 21st century ears. The perdominant language is free twelve-tone.
The music should be within the technical reach of Grade 4 players.

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:03 pm

I'm enjoying Guitar Cosmos, so I'll probably pick those up. Thanks, Rob. Of the four solos Dodgson composed for Richard Wright I have found three. I can get Advent and Beachcomber in Solo Now Volume 2... which I'm not that interested in altogether but it's not that expensive so I'll probably bite. Grasshopper is on the ABRSM Grade 5 list and they sell it as an individual sheet. Can't find Valentine anywhere. I haven't ordered anything just yet so if anyone knows where I can get all four pieces in one place I'd love to hear about it!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:22 pm

I've never heard of these pieces. Have you heard them played?

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:26 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:22 pm
I've never heard of these pieces. Have you heard them played?
Nope... can't find any recordings. According to the thesis I linked they are his least challenging studies so I thought they'd be a good starting point.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:22 am

crazyrach97 wrote:BTW if you want a good read I got my info from:http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/3356/1/u ... 431999.pdf
A good read indeed - I know John (the author), he lives ten minutes walk from me. I don't know how much of it you have read so far but there's some reference in his thesis to the question of guitar tuition, the grade system and the aims of the EGTA - pertinent to your conversation on the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=121101&start=30

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:47 am

crazyrach97 wrote:Can't find Valentine anywhere.
Both Valentine and Grasshopper are in "Solo Now" book 3
crazyrach97 wrote:I haven't ordered anything just yet so if anyone knows where I can get all four pieces in one place I'd love to hear about it!
The "Solo Now" series are the nearest in that you'll find the four pieces in two volumes. I said elsewhere that you might not need these books due to their being aimed at elementary level but who knows? You may find something else of interest in there ... in fact "elementary" is somewhat subjective - books 2 and 3 progress quite a bit to be fair.
Last edited by Mark Clifton-Gaultier on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Mark... thanks! For whatever reason a search for Advent led me straight to volume 2, but searching for Valentine didn't turn up anything. So those two books are now on my list for next month. Awesome!

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:08 pm

By the way thanks for the link to the thesis, I hope to have some time to read it soon. I've seen John Mackenzie live with Paul Sparks, he's a formidable player, I'd say fearless in how he transcribes piano parts for the guitar!
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:12 pm

sxedio wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:08 pm
By the way thanks for the link to the thesis, I hope to have some time to read it soon. I've seen John Mackenzie live with Paul Sparks, he's a formidable player, I'd say fearless in how he transcribes piano parts for the guitar!
Sure thing! In my quest to learn more about the classical guitar and it's music I'm finding doctoral theses to often be better resources than commercially available material. I found the first few by accident, but now I'm deliberately seeking them out.

BTW, I ordered all three Solo Now books the other day. Books two and three have the four Dodgson/Wright studies I'm looking for and I swear to god at least two of them don't seem to be available anywhere else. Which is sad, because those books are now out of print. I was probably lucky to find copies.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”