Some question I have as a halfway paused learner

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Chang

Some question I have as a halfway paused learner

Post by Chang » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:08 am

Classical guitar teachers are pretty hard to find here in China. I was learning this 2years ago , but my teacher quit teaching now and I cannot find a new one. So self teaching is the only way out, cue my following questions.
Q1. Is it necessary to learn reading sheet music (I have no prior experience in any kind of instruments except classical guitar)?

Q2.How to proceed learning systemically? Is there a standard for that?

Q3.Is gesture the most important above all others?(eg. the guitar itself etc.)

sorry if those questions are somewhat childish , but classical guitar is really not so popular instrument in China.And I seriously don't know the answer to them :cry: :cry:

George Crocket

Re: Some question I have as a halfway paused learner

Post by George Crocket » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 am

Hi Chang. I'm no teacher, so I shall leave your Q2 to members who are more expert than I.

Reading sheet music is such a big advantage that I would say it is essential. It may seem daunting to learn, but it is actually relatively simple with patience. Lots of help is available. Some people use tab only, but in my view that has its limitations.

By gesture I assume you mean things like posture and left and right hand technique - which we would put under the single heading of technique. You will see that technique is one of the sub-divisions of this main area of the forum. So it is seen as pretty important. I would guess that most of us would consider this the most essential part of learning to play classical guitar. Of course, none of that is as important as having a playable classical guitar in the first place. But a playable guitar need not be very expensive or difficult to come by.

The Delcamp score collection is useful for learning a little about basic technique. It is also very helpful in learning to read musical notation. So do have a look.

But perhaps the On-line classical guitar lessons is where you can find the most help. These are aimed at players who do not have access to a teacher, for whatever reasons. They are graded and start at the beginning. Again, have a look.

Good luck.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:09 am

I'd recommend getting a variety of method/repertoire book series, such as Sagreras, Noad, Parkening, Shearer and Delcamp. You can also get technique-specific books like The Bible of Classical Guitar Technique and Kitharologus: The Path to Virtuosity.

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:10 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 am
But perhaps the On-line classical guitar lessons is where you can find the most help. These are aimed at players who do not have access to a teacher, for whatever reasons. They are graded and start at the beginning. Again, have a look.
Oh I checked that out,but it seems that I have to be in the 020usergroup to access D04 and 05 book. So I was wondering if you can grag me in. :D :wink:

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:11 pm

Adam wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:09 am
I'd recommend getting a variety of method/repertoire book series, such as Sagreras, Noad, Parkening, Shearer and Delcamp. You can also get technique-specific books like The Bible of Classical Guitar Technique and Kitharologus: The Path to Virtuosity.
Thanks! I'll look them up

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Chang wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:10 pm
George Crocket wrote:
Oh I checked that out,but it seems that I have to be in the 020usergroup to access D04 and 05 book. So I was wondering if you can grag me in. :D :wink:
If you look at my reply to your introduction you can find out how to apply to join the 020 group. :contrat:
George

Chang

Post by Chang » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:42 am

George Crocket wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 pm
Chang wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:10 pm
George Crocket wrote:
If you look at my reply to your introduction you can find out how to apply to join the 020 group. :contrat:
My fault , I'm sorry. :oops: What I meant is that weather you could just drag me in 020 so that I can save time and go straight to theD04 book

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Chang wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:42 am
My fault , I'm sorry. :oops: What I meant is that weather you could just drag me in 020 so that I can save time and go straight to theD04 book
No.
George

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:00 am

In answer to Q1 - Do learn to read sheet music. Sooner or later you'll be in an audition environment and you don't want to be laughed out without having played anything.

I've just finished a Musical in Essex, UK - this year it was Bugsy Malone (not complicated), and I've played "13", Little Shop Of Horrors, Hairspray and others - the format of the guitar part music is:

No Tabs. If you can't read standard notation you've effectively fired yourself because you can't play

No Chord Boxes - you get the chord name if you're lucky. If you're really lucky it'll be the right chord name. Work it out from the sheet music if it sounds wrong. Learn how to use the Conductor's score.

If you have to play the melody at any point then it's in standard notation only

Q2 - Is the Noad book still regarded as more or less the best of the method books?

Jstanley01

Post by Jstanley01 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:21 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:10 pm
Chang wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:42 am
No.
:lol:
Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. -W.C. Fields

Chang

Post by Chang » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 am

I'll just go and learn sheet music before I continue

Jstanley01

Post by Jstanley01 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:32 am

Chang wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 am
You might also want to check out Nassim Nicholas Taleb's book, Skin in the Game: Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life...

https://www.economist.com/books-and-art ... n-the-game
Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. -W.C. Fields

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:58 am

Hi Chang

You could consider joining Classical Guitar Corner (CGC): https://classical.guitarcorneracademy.com/ where you will have access to learning videos, learning materials, feedback on your playing (if you wish), and teachers through the forum and short, online lessons and critique (call Office Hours).

The course work is highly structured into four Levels (but about to change to Grades 1 - 8, more or less equivalent to Trinity College, Royal College, etc.). It is especially geared to adult learners. You can follow the material in any order, but it is also structured in order as courses covering theory, technique, exercises, sight reading, and repertoire. The material in the courses move in small chucks, so is not overwhelming. Of course, it is essential to practice methodically to make good progress. If you wish, you can submit your work (technical exercises and repertoire) through videos for formal examination at specified times of the year.

Costs vary according to the membership tier you elect, and you can join as a monthly member and upgrade to an annual member later. These is free material to get a sense of what is in store with full membership. I know a number of existing members are from China and Hong Kong. I have been a full (annual) member since December 2016.

Cheers... Richard

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Chang wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 am
This thread seems to favor more on Frederick Noad's book, especially for learning sight reading:
viewtopic.php?t=110693

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:01 am

DCGillrich wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:58 am
know a number of existing members are from China and Hong Kong.
Thanks I'll consider your advise, seems great!

Ps. Never say China and Hongkong :? :? Cause HongKong is a part of China.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”