Long unwanted break and recovery

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Garrie Miller

Long unwanted break and recovery

Post by Garrie Miller » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:36 pm

I have been unable to play for about 2 years due to illness. I am now back to the point where I can again play. I have become fustrated with my playing, I had moved to intermediate books and felt I was progressing. I am thinking I should start again with the beginning books and see how I regain my skills. I am self taught now as I have no teacher close here in FL. Any suggestions on a practice schedule? Thanks RJ

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Re: Long unwanted break and recovery

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Check out the online lessons here’s on Delcamp. Nicely graded pieces you can tackle at your own pace as your facility returns.

I would think this would be great therapy for your condition. Keep us posted on your progress, and...

Welcome back!
:delcamp_ cool:
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Garrie Miller

Post by Garrie Miller » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:11 am

Thanks, been looking at the materials here, such a wealth

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am

Great stuff keep bouncing back. :D :D

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:18 pm

I would recommend going through Nathan Kolosko's 'The 120 Missing Right Hand Studies', to get your RH back into it BEFORE going into Giuliani's RH studies. As well, Sagreras Book I, i.e., First Lessons, is good to get things rolling again - slowly. After some time with that, you could try Segovia's C-major scale pattern (2-octaves) up and down the fingerboard in half-steps as your RH & LH get used to working together with different rhytmic patterns.

It all depends on how much work it'll take to get your hands used to playing again. You'll have to be the judge of that as there's so many different ways to proceed when we come back from a long hiatus.

The important point though: Go slow, be patient. Never mind what you did before - it's now that counts. Give yourself time and you'll pick it all up again to where you were before and even surpass where you were back then.

Keep a log and do NOT overpractice at each session because you want to make sure you can practice again the next day.

Good luck RJ and don't get discouraged.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 pm

If you cannot get a teacher, perhaps try finding a music partner? Some things, for example exercise, may go better when there is another person to help keep you encouraged and motivated. Another guitarist would be ideal, but any good musician will do. All the best!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:18 pm

RJ50capt wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:36 pm
I have been unable to play for about 2 years due to illness. I am now back to the point where I can again play. I have become fustrated with my playing, I had moved to intermediate books and felt I was progressing. I am thinking I should start again with the beginning books and see how I regain my skills. I am self taught now as I have no teacher close here in FL. Any suggestions on a practice schedule? Thanks RJ
Hello RJ

I have taken long breaks (over a year) twice, due to injuries. Getting back was incredibly frustrating, especially for the first couple months. I think part of the trouble was that I couldn't deal with my old repertoire not being "recital ready" any more, no scale speed, tremolo consistency, or LH dexterity. Logically, its easy to say "hey, it'll take some time to slide back into it" but emotionally, I was ready to play NOW.

What ended up happening (both times) was:
  • I went back to very easy pieces I knew well, and worked them (gently) until i could play them again, or got sick of them. Gradually, I moved to slightly more advanced pieces i knew.
  • I did NOT work my old tech routine at first; instead, i noodled around a lot with arpeggio patterns, slow tremolo, occasional studies. I was very afraid of re-injuring myself and needed to build up muscle strength and confidence.
  • Eventually, I got the urge to develop new repertoire. This was a lot easier to do than try to get the old stuff to playable condition---a fresh start.
I have revisited some of these older repertoire pieces, but have waited long enough so that it was more like learning them anew. And with some of them, I decided that I didn't like them well enough to work on again, anyway. I'm actually glad i did this; was able to avoid a lot of mistakes I made the first go-round.

cheers!
dirck

Garrie Miller

Post by Garrie Miller » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:23 am

Dirk,

Thanks for the story of your recovery. I already have pushed through some frustrations.. Thanks for the support, no easy buttons for sure, but that's what draws me

mvp019a

Post by mvp019a » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:23 pm

A lot of good advice up above, but the best piece I think was to never mind the past, it is the now that counts. All the past means is you know you have some innate ability in this. Treat it like you decided to learn the clarinet and while not quite starting from the beginning, what you did before is irrelevant...so you can avoid the feelings of frustration.

And keep at it and good luck!
Mark

2007 Ignacio Rozas 1A, 2016 Mark Usherovich Traditional Classical, Prudencio Saez Model 34

franks59

Post by franks59 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Just FYI, I see that Dr. Brian Edward Dowdy who is Artistic Director and Principal Conductor of the St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra holds a degree in Classical Guitar Performance. Maybe he teaches or knows of teachers in the area : http://www.stcloudsymphony.com/brian-dowdy.html

Frank

a human

Post by a human » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:26 pm

I am in the same position. After some good advice on another thread, I decided to play between 30-60 minutes, every day, working on a few pieces I really like and challenging enough to keep from being bored. Each day I play, I mark it on my calendar, an ink equivalent of a gold star. I also work on a few basics, depending on what gives me trouble, which is most everything. The first day was the hardest as I really played poorly. Each day is better, though. Three days of doing anything makes a habit.

I am trying not to expect much, or play too much to avoid stressing old injuries. I also vary the work and plan a break day for muscle recovery, as an athlete might.

Sometimes I just hold the guitar, smell the rosewood and muse a little. I only play my favorite guitar at the moment.

Anything I do is better than what I was doing; nothing.

Good luck. Be patient with yourself. Take joy in what you can do!
Last edited by a human on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”