What are the main public domain teaching methods available online?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Adrian Allan

What are the main public domain teaching methods available online?

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:25 pm

I am compiling a list of the main teaching methods that can be downloaded - such as the Carcassi method, for example.

Are there any other, in the classical style or otherwise, which are out of copyright that can be downloaded?

This information will feed into my next book writing project - more details to come later.

Many thanks
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

2lost2find

Re: What are the main public domain teaching methods available online?

Post by 2lost2find » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Three of Aguado's four methods are online. The Escuela de Guitarra is available in three editions, the 1825 Madrid edition in Spanish and the Spanish and French versions of the 2nd edition published in Paris the following year. You want the 2nd edition in either language; there are far fewer printing errors in them than the Madrid edition. The Escuela distinguishes itself from Aguado's other methods with its exhaustive and detailed beginner's study. There isn't a single 19th century method I would throw at a complete beginner... but this one comes the closest. There is a modem edition containing music only from Editions Orphee.

His 2nd method, the Nuevo Methodo de Guitarra Op.6 is not available anywhere online that I know of. There are plenty of links for Aguado Op.6, but they all lead you to the 1843 Nuevo Methodo PARRA Guitarra, which is a completely different book. That includes the link here at Delcamp. The liner notes and track listing of Lorenzo Micheli's Aguado CD repeat this annoying bibliographical error, which no one seems in a hurry to correct.

The method itself is a small, simple book intended for the unambitious amateur. It seems to assume the student already plays some guitar. It's mostly of historical interest, but it has some nice student pieces unavailable elsewhere. To the best of my knowledge it is not available anywhere online, and it can only be had in Chanterelle's Dionisio Aguado Complete Works Volume 1. It was hard to find for a long time, and I only recently got a copy myself (actually my lady picked it up but it amounts to the same thing). The method was published around 1834, and a bunch of opuses full of simple music were published simultaneously to go with it.

The La Guitare Ensiegnee par une Methode Simple came out just a few years after Op.6 and is cut from much the same cloth; a simple method to help the amateur play more interesting music. Why Aguado wrote two such similar methods so close together is kind of beyond me, but this is arguably a better book than Op.6 and is available online in several languages including an edition in English.

The Nuevo Methodo Parra Guitarra (not to be confused with the Nuevo Methodo DE Guitarra Op.6 except everyone does dammit) is his best known work and is famous for the exhaustive, almost anal retentive detail in which Aguado covers every possible aspect of guitar technique and for how close his approach is to the way guitar is played today. I think it's still the best intermediate to advanced manual for the self-taught student; I worked all the way through it after finishing with Solo Guitar Playing myself. It's available online in a number of editions, some of which stray pretty far from the original so looking for an early edition is advised (although really I'd say to hell with the facsimiles and get the modern Tecla edition in English). It was published in 1843, with appendix by Aguado added posthumously in 1850 so look for the appendix either loose or in an 1850 edition.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:27 pm

Thank you - that was very helpful indeed

will check all of those out now

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 pm

BTW, there is a 262-page Master of Musicology thesis from 1996 entitled "The Relevance Of The Teaching Methods Of Dionisio Aguado, Fernando Sor And Andres Segovia For Guitar Technique In The Late 20th Century", by Cornelia Susanna Nielu Van Der Walt, which may be of interest to (both of) you.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:29 pm

Thanks - it was useful...but a surprising lack of musical examples, IMO, after skimming it all.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 pm

In the Rischel collection at the Royal Danish Library you can see several teaching methods - Carcassi, Aguado, Legnani, Sor, Aguado, Batioli. See the list of pdfs at Danish Royal Library - 1244 PDF for Classical Guitar.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:36 am

Hi Adrian,

please have a look here also:
https://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com ... itare.html

Bernhard

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 am

And some more less common:
Jacques Bosch: Méthode de guitare (Bibloteca Nacional de Espana)
Johann Kaspar Mertz: Schule für die Guitare [sic!] (Bayerische Staatsbibliothek)
Ernest Shand op. 100: Improved Method for the Guitar (IGRA Guitar Scores)
Sidney Pratten's Guitar School (IGRA Guitar Scores)
Cimadevilla: Nuevo Método de Guitarra (Biblioteca Nacional de Espana)

Bernhard

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 am

You have both been incredibly helpful - many thanks!

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:27 pm

Here are a few more to add to the mix although I probably found some of them in the Danish Royal Library!

Chemla Teddy_Technique de la Guitare
Ralph Towner - Improvisation and Performance Techniques for Classical and Acoustic Guitar (not sure if that's free though...)
Abel Carlevaro - School Of Guitar (more of a discussion on preliminary technique and posture)
1039_Sor_Coste_METODO COMPLETO (from the Iceland school of guitar)
Winner's New American School of guitar
Albert Heinrich's Gitarre Solospiel Studien
Bathioli's Guitareschule
Egger's GuitarSkole
Francois Molino's Nouvelle Methode pour la Guitare
Damas_T-Metodo_completo_y_progresivo
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Just a small remark: Towner and Carlevaro are definitely not in the public domain yet.
Bernhard

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:52 am

Bernhard Heimann wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:40 pm
Just a small remark: Towner and Carlevaro are definitely not in the public domain yet.
Bernhard
Thank you and sorry - not paying full attention to the OP.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:00 am

Besides those already mentioned, don't forget Carulli's method, very usefull:
http://wayback-01.kb.dk/wayback/2010102 ... BS0134.pdf

Antonio Cano also has a nice method, used a lot in South America in the Ricordi edition revised by Roberto Lara. Public domain version here at Delcamp:
https://www.delcamp.net/pdf/antonio_can ... madrid.pdf

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”