Shift workers and practice routines

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Jedaks

Shift workers and practice routines

Post by Jedaks » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:27 am

Hello all, I hope everyone is well.

To any of you that are permanent shift workers (combined day and night shifts), do you believe it has an impact on your ability to establish a regular practice routine?

I've been a shift worker all my life, since I was 18. It seems like all my life I haven't been able to get beyond the "intermediate" skill level.
"He gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind"... J.Swift

2lost2find

Re: Shift workers and practice routines

Post by 2lost2find » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 am

I'm not sure what a combined day and night shift even means... I haven't worked a regular job since my early 20s. The very idea gives me the screaming horrors. But I do know this: we all have our things. I'm a single parent, i'm renovating my house, and I'm teaching over 30 students. I still never let a day go by without playing for a bare minimum of two hours. It's a a matter of time management.

I don't know if the following applies to you or not, but 95% or better of my students would progress much more quickly if they followed the following steps:

1) Throw your TV along with any video game consoles you own out the window.

2) If said electronics still function, light them on fire.

3) Spend 100% of the time you used to spend using those devices playing your guitar.

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 am

2lost2find wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 am
I'm not sure what a combined day and night shift even means... I haven't worked a regular job since my early 20s. The very idea gives me the screaming horrors. But I do know this: we all have our things. I'm a single parent, i'm renovating my house, and I'm teaching over 30 students. I still never let a day go by without playing for a bare minimum of two hours. It's a a matter of time management.

I don't know if the following applies to you or not, but 95% or better of my students would progress much more quickly if they followed the following steps:

1) Throw your TV along with any video game consoles you own out the window.

2) If said electronics still function, light them on fire.

3) Spend 100% of the time you used to spend using those devices playing your guitar.
.. and internet forums. Get rid of those too.

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 am

2lost2find wrote:
I'm a single parent, i'm renovating my house, and I'm teaching over 30 students. I still never let a day go by without playing for a bare minimum of two hours.
Wow! How on earth do you manage that?

I don't have any of those commitments but by the time I've got home from work, cooked, had dinner and tidied up I probably have about 30 mins spare for guitar before bedtime. And I rarely watch TV.

Is the 2 hours lots of 10 mins at a time or do you get up very early and do an hour... what's your routine?

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:33 am

DevonBadger wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 am
... but by the time I've got home from work...
At a guess 2lost2find works from home. Driving to and from work is knackering. Some folks spend 3-4 hours a day in their car or otherwise traveling to and from work. 2.5 hours a day is 50+ hours a month: more than a full working week of your private time just to get to somebody else's workplace. Time out of life. Add up what the financial cost of the transport is and it may turn out that you are better off not traveling and taking a substantial pay cut to work much closer to home or at home.

prawnheed wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 am

.. and internet forums. Get rid of those too.
Hmm good point … time to do something in the real world. :-)

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:39 pm

I think I know what the OP is talking about. I work pretty much from 5:30 pm to 5:30 am 4 days a week at an auto manufacturing plant, so it's sort of combined 2nd and 3rd traditional shifts. It's hard to make time for practice during those days, but I suggest you try to get in at least half an hour before you go to sleep or before you go to work. I think at least half an hour daily is better than going 4 or 5 days in a row without practicing, and then trying to cram a few hours in on your days off.

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:47 pm

DevonBadger wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 am
2lost2find wrote:
I'm a single parent, i'm renovating my house, and I'm teaching over 30 students. I still never let a day go by without playing for a bare minimum of two hours.
Wow! How on earth do you manage that?

I don't have any of those commitments but by the time I've got home from work, cooked, had dinner and tidied up I probably have about 30 mins spare for guitar before bedtime. And I rarely watch TV.

Is the 2 hours lots of 10 mins at a time or do you get up very early and do an hour... what's your routine?
I live with 2lost, and while I love him dearly I can tell you exactly where the disconnect is: he hasn't worked a regular job in so long he doesn't remember what it's like. I'm still working for the city, and while it's an easy job it eats nine hours of my day every single weekday. I'm better off than some people... we live in a town where nothing is further than a ten minute walk from our house, and I can walk to my job at city hall in less than five. To drive there takes less than two. So I don't have a commute. But still, by the time I have worked, eaten dinner, and done necessary chores I frequently struggle to get enough practice time in. And I have pretty ambitious goals.

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Jedaks wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:27 am
Hello all, I hope everyone is well.

To any of you that are permanent shift workers (combined day and night shifts), do you believe it has an impact on your ability to establish a regular practice routine?

I've been a shift worker all my life, since I was 18. It seems like all my life I haven't been able to get beyond the "intermediate" skill level.
I used to buy strings and stuff from my local shop - not just for local people - until
it could no longer compete with the online giants.
So now I have no choice other than to buy online.
But when I do I always think about the person running around at 4 in the morning
to provide me with something I don't really need.
And for that I'd like to thank you.

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:03 pm

I get up at 5am and practice.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12
Admira Virtuoso (c. 1999).

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Rachael summed it up admirably. Once I found out what it was like to have a 9-5 job, I made it my mission in life to never need another one. I'm working on cutting back the teaching now; I have some passive income that has been steadily increasing over the past few years and it's rapidly reaching a point where we can live on it. But consider: I teach 32 students at the present moment in time. That's 32 30 minute lessons once a week. A total of sixteen hours at work... and I do it at home.

That said, I do have three kids who live with me and a fixer-upper house. So I still need careful time management to make things work.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”