Intermediate studies

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Baloo

Intermediate studies

Post by Baloo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:18 am

I am learning by myself just at the moment and wanting to clean up my technique and make it more dependable.

There is a compilation of intermediate etudes/studies put together by Hubert Kappel (Die 44 wichtigsten Gitarrenetüden für die Mittelstufe).

I found the index online and was able to download most of the studies from imslp.

In some cases I am not totally clear on the focus of the study so I am thinking of buying the book, but wondering how much help it would be. Does anyone have it (or the one for "Unterstufe")? I it is only available in German, but with a bit of effort and some help from Google I can probably figure out what the commentary is saying, so I'm really asking whether there is much in the book besides the studies themselves.

Thanks

Bernhard Heimann

Re: Intermediate studies

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:08 am

Yes, there is more in the book.
Every study starts with a short introduction which describes its purpose, its focus and gives practice hints.
Difficult parts of each study are shown. All studies are well fingered, sometimes with alternatives.
The two study books by Kaeppel aren't cheap, but well worth the money - my opinion.
Bernhard

Briant

Post by Briant » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:48 am

I use the book for Mittelstufe. I find it very useful, a basic knowledge of German helps but it is well laid out.
As an example, one study that stands out for me is Carcassi op60 no 2.
HK starts by showing the difficult sections, then writes it out as block chords before introducing different arpeggio patterns to the piece.
The book groups studies to deal with different technical probleme ie slurs, arpeggios, LH and RH coordination etc.
He also recomends further studies.
A very good book.

Baloo

Post by Baloo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:27 am

Thanks - I've ordered it.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”