Total inability to form six string barre

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
R_Pegio

Total inability to form six string barre

Post by R_Pegio » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/67590737@ ... en-public/

This bulge totally precludes it, rendering me incapable of playing guitar properly, any advice please?
It doesn't take any brains to listen to music.

Luciano Pavarotti

doug

Re: TOTAL INABILITY TO FORM SIX STRING BARRE

Post by doug » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Try "rolling" your finger a little, so that a little of the "side" of the finger is pressing against the strings.
I also have to work on making sure that my knuckle joints are not directly over a string....but between them.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

R_Pegio

Post by R_Pegio » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks but I've tried everything, over many, many years. Regrettably I'm on the point of selling my guitars - the only faint hope is surgery but I fear that is a delusion.

Luciano Pavarotti

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Have you considered alternative tunings? Or maybe some other workarounds. Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath is missing the tips from two of his fretting hand fingers. Django Reindhart's left hand was crippled in a childhood fire. An inability to form a six string barre does NOT preclude being a good or even great player; it merely precludes playing most traditional CG repertoire. So play something else. Perhaps write your own music that does not require full barres. And/or get an extended range instrument that affords you some extra open strings.

AAA

Re: Total inability to form six string barre

Post by AAA » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:19 am

As I've gotten older, my index finger has lost flesh and gotten "lumpier" because the joints are still the same size. I refinger many pieces to use a minimum of barres (you should see what I've done to the Courante from Bach's Cello Suite III!), and when barres are absolutely necessary, I use different degrees of "lap" across the fingerboard, so the finger notches don't wind up over strings that need to sound.

You might also consider simply either rearranging/revoicing pieces that don't work with your finger. The composer is, after all, not standing behind you, "smoking cigarettes and frowning" (Frank Zappa quote), and we certainly won't tell anyone.

AA

R_Pegio

Post by R_Pegio » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks Angel but I'm not clever enough for that!

Luciano Pavarotti

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:47 pm

R_Pegio wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:13 am
If you're truly a musician... or artist of any kind... you have to be. Make a virtue of necessity. I mentioned Tony Iommi upthread. He lost two fingertips in a factory accident. He invented his own prosthesis, modified his instruments, and radically redesigned his playing technique. He could have much more easily given up, but instead he became the closest thing heavy metal has to a founding father.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:38 pm

2lost2find wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:47 pm
R_Pegio wrote:
If you're truly a musician... or artist of any kind... you have to be. Make a virtue of necessity. I mentioned Tony Iommi upthread. He lost two fingertips in a factory accident. He invented his own prosthesis, modified his instruments, and radically redesigned his playing technique. He could have much more easily given up, but instead he became the closest thing heavy metal has to a founding father.
yes, it took a crippled man to invent a crippled music.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:03 pm

ronjazz wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:38 pm
2lost2find wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:47 pm
R_Pegio wrote:
Sigghhh... the point is, if you are truly a musician you can and will find a way to make music. If you don't like Iommi, I could have as easily pointed to Django.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:17 pm

A barre is not s capo. Most time you do a barre you only need a few strings clean. Have a look at this:

You got a good tutor?

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 am

ronjazz wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:38 pm
That, sir, is the most heartless, mean-spirited, nastiest comment it has ever been my misfortune to read in these forums.

Yet I must congratulate you on your concision: Despite your endless self-aggrandizing braggadocio and bloviation on other topics, you have managed to reveal, in only eleven words, exactly what sort of person -- and musician -- you really are.

AA

R_Pegio

Post by R_Pegio » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:51 am

Carcassi's "Study In A" is my Nemesis, it's not a hard piece but I am physically incapable of playing bar XVI. Since I was first allocated it by my then teacher twenty-odd years ago I've been forced to accept that it's impossible for me. If I can't play a piece properly I have no wish to 'busk' it therefore I am forced to accept that the guitar isn't for me.

On playing bar XV I have to stop and spend a few minutes adjusting my fingers all over the place and never succeed.

No other instrument appeals to me.

Luciano Pavarotti

Dmitrypey

Post by Dmitrypey » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 pm

If you are adamant at playing a full CG repertoire,
And really want to barre, talk to a 2-3 plastic surgeons who specialize in hand surgery to see what it woukd take.
If it is just simple subcutaneous fat and tissue reshaping, it should be a relatively simple procedure with low risk.
Again, you have to want this enough :)
You can also try violin or cello!
Or in cases where a barre is required, you can just modify and play a “partial chord”.
Good luck.

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:57 pm

R_Pegio wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:51 am
Carcassi's "Study In A" is my Nemesis, it's not a hard piece but I am physically incapable of playing bar XVI. Since I was first allocated it by my then teacher twenty-odd years ago I've been forced to accept that it's impossible for me. If I can't play a piece properly I have no wish to 'busk' it therefore I am forced to accept that the guitar isn't for me.

On playing bar XV I have to stop and spend a few minutes adjusting my fingers all over the place and never succeed.

No other instrument appeals to me.
A barre is completely unnecessary in that instance. Re-finger the chord (from low string to high) 1 4 2 3. Works perfectly.

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:16 pm

As doug has suggested, rolling your finger slightly may help, so you are playing it with the side of your finger rather than the front. Tucking your elbow into your side may also help to pull the finger against the fingerboard.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”