Repertoire for p, i, and m only

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Malcolm

Repertoire for p, i, and m only

Post by Malcolm » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:01 am

Hi All,

After dealing with Dupuytren’s Contracture in my LH pinky for years, over the last few months it has developed very rapidly in my RH to the point where my a finger is utterly useless.

Being at the mercy of the public health system, I have no idea when I will progress up the hospital waiting list to have it treated! I expect surgery will be the only option.

In the meantime, I am seeking suggestions for pieces that can be played effectively with p, i, and m. Sor comes readily to mind as he only allowed the use of the a finger for harmony, and only when totally unavoidable. For melody he absolutely forbade its use so I believe.

I'm looking for other pieces though that are not part of the mainstream repertoire at intermediate to upper intermediate level.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

David Norton

Re: Repertoire for p, i, and m only

Post by David Norton » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:21 pm

Pretty much anything from the classical era (Sor Giuliani Carcassi etc) was meant for a P-I-M fingering. A fair bit of the renaissance lute and vihuela literature works that way as well. So you have lots of choices.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:32 pm

You might well find out (as I did) that restriction can lead to liberation :-) Playing Sor with just three fingers is a wonderful experience. As David mentions, there is a lot of repertoire you can tap into, but not just old stuff. Try some Brouwer studies for example.
Last edited by RobMacKillop on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Good suggestions above. Check out blues/ragtime guitarist Reverend Gary Davis; he did some very impressive things with only his thumb and index finger. Also: have you considered using the c finger?

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:24 pm

Lots of Bach's two-voiced works, like the Bourse in Em from 1st Lute suite. Villa-Lobos Etude #1. Dowland's smaller works. lots of stuff.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:55 pm

Thanks for your helpful responses. I do have the Tecla editions Sor, Giuliani and Carcassi so I will look closely at them. Adapting the Giuliani right hand exercises could be interesting. I also have Brouwer's Eschig edition Guitar Works which includes the 20 Estudios Sencillos so I'll have a closer look at those.

As for using the c finger, unfortunately it's bent in sympathy with the a finger - not quite the 45 degrees of the a finger but probably around 40 :(

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

LipeB

Post by LipeB » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:15 am

Sorry for your hand! I hope you full recover in the shortest amount of time possible.

It’s not the ideal fingerings, but I’m pretty sure you can play Tárrega’s Lágrima without the “a” finger.

Also, you’ll need to adapt a few passages, especially in Part B, but I guess Sons de Carrilhões, by João Teixeira Guimarães, is playable. A note will be omitted on the first chords of part B or you can figure how to play them strumming, maybe... and play the final arpeggios on part B using pimi. The rest is easy to play without the a finger.

All best

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”