Quick check that a guitar is in tune

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Argent

Re: Quick check that a guitar is in tune

Post by Argent » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 am

astro64 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:51 am
Argent wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:09 pm
When I was a student playing in a masterclass to Pavel Steidl I checked my tuning by playing some chords. He stopped me and taught me to tune this way and I’ve used it ever since.

Tune everything from the 1st string

7th fret B - open 2nd string
3rd fret G - open 3rd string
5th fret A - 7th fret harmonic on 4th string
Open 1st string - 7th fret harmonic on 5th string
Open 1st string - 5th fret harmonic on 6th string or open 6th string

Once you get used to it you can check your tuning between pieces quickly.
That is strange. The 7th fret harmonics are not in tune with open strings or fretted notes. Only octave harmonics are (12th and 5th fret). If Steidl uses this method, he must be correcting for the difference.

That is true. I have been told that in the past and actually forgot as I have tuned this way for years.

You do compensate slightly but if you can tune well by ear you generally know what’s right or wrong naturally.

So perhaps this tuning method is only useful for people who are able to compensate easily. Another discussion would be about octaves not tuning the guitar properly or even digital tuners being wrong. That’s a whole different thread though haha
David Argent Cedar 2005

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:41 am

The opening couple of bars or so of Albeniz 'Granada' will quickly tell you that your guitar is out of tune! Ha! In fact there are probably many guitars that would really struggle to ever get that souding right.
Classical guitar teacher

Ren Leblanc

Post by Ren Leblanc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:35 pm

chelson wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:34 am
Thank you Guys for the sharing.

I see guitarists sometime do on-the-fly tuning. Don't think this can be done with reference (tuner or other strings) but seems to be by the specific tone (the player wants to hear) of a note. However, will compensating one string create a bigger gap with others?

Appreciate your sharing on this, and how you manage this during performance.
Unless the player has perfect pitch, he will need a reference point to tune -a string or a chord for example, and would tune in relation to that.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”