Andrew Leonard's Beginner Method for Classical Guitar

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
CSeye

Andrew Leonard's Beginner Method for Classical Guitar

Post by CSeye » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:21 pm

True Fire is a rich source of guitar video tutorials for rock, blues, and jazz among many styles of playing. On a whim, I searched for classical guitar and was pleasantly surprised to see Andrew Leonard’s Beginner Method for Classical Guitar appear in the results.

Course content consists of 49 videos in 3 hours of instruction. The tutorials which include three video views, PDF lessons in notation and tab, and text, can be viewed online or via the the True Fire 3 computer application.

The lessons are well organized, covering playing position (seating, left and right hands), rest strokes, string crossing, three scales (C, D, and A in the second octave of the Segovia C major scale form), free strokes (single and multiple fingers), chordal movements, and arpeggios.

All lessons are very basic and short, with instructions presented in a very clear manner that avoids overwhelming the learner.

The course culminates in Aguado’s Arpeggio Etude and Milan Pavan.

This is an excellent course for the beginner or perhaps a guitar player of another style who wants to add classical guitar techniques to their skill set.

I have no affiliation with True Fire other than purchasing some of their tutorials.
Cordoba C9, Godin Multiac Grand

2lost2find

Re: Andrew Leonard's Beginner Method for Classical Guitar

Post by 2lost2find » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Sigh... I've avoided saying so in the past but can restrain myself no longer. There are no need for new classical guitar methods. The market is saturated with excellent ones, and has been for a very long time. The only ones worth the effort are ones that delve into new territory, such as Charles Postlewaite's method for five right-hand fingers (which every guitarist should get a copy of). Short of that, nobody has ever managed to top Solo Guitar Playing.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:33 am

2lost2find wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:22 pm
Sigh... I've avoided saying so in the past but can restrain myself no longer. There are no need for new classical guitar methods. The market is saturated with excellent ones, and has been for a very long time. The only ones worth the effort are ones that delve into new territory, such as Charles Postlewaite's method for five right-hand fingers (which every guitarist should get a copy of). Short of that, nobody has ever managed to top Solo Guitar Playing.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sigh...I hope you're not serious, but I fear that you are.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:40 am

ronjazz wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:33 am
2lost2find wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:22 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sigh...I hope you're not serious, but I fear that you are.
I think that book is still the best thing going for the self-taught beginner. Nothing else even comes close. Even if I'm wrong about that, there are dozens of methods available. You really think somebody's got a new idea that's going to blow all the old ones away?

CSeye

Post by CSeye » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:48 am

2lost2find wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:40 am
You really think somebody's got a new idea that's going to blow all the old ones away?
There's no claim regarding new ideas, but the presentation of the content may be appealing to some beginners.
Cordoba C9, Godin Multiac Grand

a guitar player

Post by a guitar player » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:54 pm

I'd agree that new methods have merit, especially if they include video material. I'm self-taught and videos from various methods on YouTube have helped me a great deal.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi,
I am always hesitant to be a contrarian, but I simply have to respond. It can't be helped.
Off the top of my head, here are 10 advances in guitar pedagogy that have occurred in the last few decades that can be found in the newest 21st century method books:
1. The application of our modern understanding of the physiology of the hands (straight wrists and curved fingers).
2. The 4th finger approach.
3. The Quadridge phenomenon
4. Beginning ones study with the right hand alone.
5. The application of left-hand presentations and framing.
6. Technical Parameter Reduction (alla Eduardo Fernandez)
7. Just in time fingering
8. Covert tactics
9. Flat hand vs open hand schools
10. Ballistic motion and the role of intrinsic muscles in the hands

There are dozens of others, but if you don't what these are, your understanding of guitar pedagogy is under-researched.

All the best,
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:02 pm
here are 10 advances in guitar pedagogy that have occurred in the last few decades that can be found in the newest 21st century method books:
As a beginner, I'm intensely curious about this, because I'd like to not be learning outdated technique. How many of these affect someone in the first year of their learning? I've spent a few months with Noad's SGP (& continuing with it, as well as now adding Delcamp here and thisisclassicalguitar.com), and just recently got Yates' CGM Grade 1 (because I've seen your recommendations for it). So far skimming the first third of Yates, nothing has jumped-out as being different from anything else I've learned. Did I miss it (because skimming), or just not get to it yet?
Last edited by Jason Kulas on Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:09 am

Unfortunately, Jason, it's at the very beginning that the newer approaches may be most useful. If you are self-teaching, I have to recommend Chris Berg's Mastering The Guitar, published by Mel Bay, it is a book that will accompany you through your studies for years. I've been professional for 50 years and I refer to it often, he really gets into the subjects that Larry describes above. With that one book, you can study from any number or methods more productively, in my opinion. Also, for those self-teaching, there are several video courses that can be helpful; I like tonebase, but it's mostly for intermediate to advanced players. Strings By Mail's website features some very good free lessons as well, and don't overlook what's available right here on the decamp site.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:09 pm

Jason Kulas wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:20 pm
Larry McDonald wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:02 pm
here are 10 advances in guitar pedagogy that have occurred in the last few decades that can be found in the newest 21st century method books:
As a beginner, I'm intensely curious about this, because I'd like to not be learning outdated technique. How many of these affect someone in the first year of their learning? I've spent a few months with Noad's SGP (& continuing with it, as well as now adding Delcamp here and thisisclassicalguitar.com), and just recently got Yates' CGM Grade 1 (because I've seen your recommendations for it). So far skimming the first third of Yates, nothing has jumped-out as being different from anything else I've learned. Did I miss it (because skimming), or just not get to it yet?
Hi Jason,
To be honest, I don't remember Yates book much, but I remember that he did good work with accompanying arpeggios, with sound right-hand framing. This is somewhat different than my work, which emphasizes solo playing.

And Ronjazz is absolutely correct, the most value of modern pedagogy is in the beginning stages.

-Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”