Preparing for the chaconne!

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
TheBeerSurgeon

Preparing for the chaconne!

Post by TheBeerSurgeon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:55 pm

I recently watched Benjamin Zander's interpretation class on Bach's prelude BWV 998 .
He mentions that the Spanish cellist Casals began every morning playing Bach and i thought the idea was just wonderful!
I am by no means a very advanced player and the toughest piece i can play is VL Prelude no.1 but I like the idea of trying to play two bars of Bach's Chaconne every morning before beginning your day! So i have decided to have that as my new year resolution .
Is there any recommended set of pieces with which to prepare for undertaking this study?
The only Bach i have played on the guitar is the little prelude BWV 999 and the prelude from the cello suite no. 1.
I plan on using Carlevaros book on studying it.
Thank you for any suggestions!

Crofty

Re: Preparing for the chaconne!

Post by Crofty » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:56 pm

I'd suggest that you work directly from the violin score on the basis that, if you go directly to an edited version [i/e/ changed/distorted, depending on your point of view] you will find it more difficult, in the future, to make such decisions for yourself.

Also [and again, if you are not familiar with the violin] make sure you know how the violin is tuned and how it differs from the guitar.

Basically it's playable [......] on the guitar with the same notes that Bach wrote for the violin so that - to my mind - has to be the best starting point.

Paul

Daniele Magli

Post by Daniele Magli » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:43 pm

I like so much Busoni trascription.

Buson was a great pianist and I think there are so many good ideas in this version

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Zanders' video is wonderful, a great piece. Why not try BWV 998 Prelude itself? It's easier than the Chaconne, and yet there's lots of fascinating stuff to work with while being a bit more attainable. If you'd prefer an edition with more open strings, ie, a bit more lute-like, I'd suggest Frank Koonce, though there are others.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Blimey, the Chaconne? Talk about baptism of fire!

Maybe listen to the lute suites & pick one of the less virtuosic pieces before you tackle the Chaconne. If you are attracted to the solemn beauty of sarabandes try the one from the suite in E minor, BWV 996 or from BWV 997.

TheBeerSurgeon

Post by TheBeerSurgeon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 am

I guess the chaconne is really far away for me for now :P I think i ll work on the prelude BWV 998 and the sarabande from 996.
I thought about the chaconne as I did work on it in my violin playing days so i am a little familiar with its musicality but i guess that is for later.
Thanks for the responses guys!

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 am

Hey, please don't be discouraged! There's nothing wrong with dabbling with a favourite piece! But if your playing is not up to doing it justice yet there are plenty of other wonderful pieces by Bach (& others) that are nowhere near as difficult & very worth learning until you are ready for the Chaconne.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:24 pm

The Chaconne is only difficult in a few places, actually, I have played and broadcast it live; the main challenge, in my opinion, is the length. It seems that taking 2 or 4 or even 8 bars at a time would be a very interesting study. You'll find the first 8-bar statement to be fairly easy and very satisfying once you have a handle on it. While the violin version is cool, the Segovia version is one of his best transcriptions, with bits from Busoni, and some really good fingerings to help you along. However, also working on some shorter, more manageable pieces will actually give you something to perform in much less time.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

TheBeerSurgeon

Post by TheBeerSurgeon » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:03 pm

ronjazz wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:24 pm
It seems that taking 2 or 4 or even 8 bars at a time would be a very interesting study. You'll find the first 8-bar statement to be fairly easy and very satisfying once you have a handle on it.
That's what i was planing on doing ! As the Carlevaro book describes the technique and music in 28 variations on the main theme .
So i guess i ll continue working on the easier Bach pieces as my main piece and have a little fun with the chaconne one variation at a time :P

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”