What would Sor have done with midi files?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Tony Hyman

What would Sor have done with midi files?

Post by Tony Hyman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:54 am

I realize that this is an argument from silence, but nevertheless looking at Sor Op 31:20 and the educational benefits of it, pertaining to stacked chordal structure of this "etude" or study,I was inspired to wonder what would Sor have done in his day if he had also had midi file to set up solos and then write out chordal accompaniment for those solo's . My point being as I interpret the intention behind this particular study is to get used to chordal shapes, as in "chord charts".In his method, Sor discusses the difficulties of chordal nomenclature. Nevertheless studios do use them in getting the job done.
In applying what I believe to be a reasonable assumption. what a joy to be able to accompany a midi creation of Bach's BWV 998 Prelude and Fugue with the implied chords as I interpret them,(starting very slowly of course). I have by no means discovered a diamond,(done before) but just playing along sometimes in support of the solo, to me is what music is really all about. Forever your student in music, that's me. Thank goodness for the cg, and the latest technology in our growth toward achieving goals no matter how slow.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: What would Sor have done with midi files?

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:58 am

Imagine if Bach had Finale.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Robin

Post by Robin » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:35 am

I would imagine that midi file sound would hurt his ears and make him want to pull his hair out. While midi sound quality has improved over the years, they not the natural sounds that Sor would have been used to. On the other hand, if he were living now, he might have become a techno geek and revolutionized artificial sound production! Hmmmm....I wonder what he would have done then?

Robin
So much music, so little time.

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Robin wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:35 am
I would imagine that midi file sound would hurt his ears and make him want to pull his hair out. While midi sound quality has improved over the years, they not the natural sounds that Sor would have been used to. On the other hand, if he were living now, he might have become a techno geek and revolutionized artificial sound production! Hmmmm....I wonder what he would have done then?

Robin
Yes, one can only wonder. He seems to go into a lot of detail in his "Method" most scientific almost, in order to get his pupils to really understand the guitar the way he saw it. He never professed to have the only "Method" but left a lot to the imagination of the player eg imagining other instruments while playing. This leads me to the conclusion that he was the kind of guy who encouraged doing whatever it takes to enjoy the instrument. Not all are fortunate to play in ensembles or even a teacher (eg Segovia no teacher)due to location or whatever, yet midi or virtual orchestra would be better than nothing I suppose,in getting one to read and get along with the job.Yet arguments from silence are very difficult when trying to come to any definite answer.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:48 pm

I don't think sor or bach would have used the tools.

Maybe if they came up using them.. But, I'm sure they could more or less layer the sounds in their heads based on their compositional skills.

They had built in midi in their brains out of necessity.
Cordoba CP110
https://youtu.be/AJsinZ8LLhE

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”