Elite Guitarist Commitment

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
guitarist_le

Elite Guitarist Commitment

Post by guitarist_le » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 am

So I've tried looking for a classical guitarist instructor in town and I found one but he's been a little flakey. Ive tried o line lessons through webcam.and they end up being more of a conversation instead of actual lessons.

Ive learned a lot on my own and think Elite Guitarist might be the right path to keep me in the right direction. Im 26 and have been playing classical for 3 years.

Has anyone tried Elite Guitarist and what are your opinions? Any other online courses you would recommend? Tavi and Taso rock and Im a big gan of their playing which is why Im leaning towards EG.

oc chuck

Re: Elite Guitarist Commitment

Post by oc chuck » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:03 am

I'm sure you will get some good ideas from the more experienced guitarists
that post here. For now, I'd suggest you go to you tube, and enter
"classical guitar lessons for techniques" or similar.
There are a lot of lessons on technique and on popular pieces.

Good luck.

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:38 am

You could try Classical Guitar Corner Academy run by Simon Powis. You can get online lessons each week (in 15 minute slots) with Premium Memberships (three teachers, and more coming), otherwise you have full access to graded and very structure lessons from Grade 1 to Grade 8. Grades are examined with video feedback. There is a very active forum in CGCA where you can feed feedback on just about anything guitar related, and where you can post progress videos. There are also masterclasses in particular elements of playing and some advanced repertoire. CGCA also supports an annual, 1 week long, Summer School (next Summer School is in June 2019 near Boston, USA, but is currently fully booked). There is a thread on CGC elsewhere [somewhere] on delcamp.org. I have been a member of CGC for a little over 2 years. Cheers... Richard

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:41 pm

DCGillrich wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:38 am
You could try Classical Guitar Corner Academy run by Simon Powis. You can get online lessons each week (in 15 minute slots) with Premium Memberships (three teachers, and more coming), otherwise you have full access to graded and very structure lessons from Grade 1 to Grade 8. Grades are examined with video feedback. There is a very active forum in CGCA where you can feed feedback on just about anything guitar related, and where you can post progress videos. There are also masterclasses in particular elements of playing and some advanced repertoire. CGCA also supports an annual, 1 week long, Summer School (next Summer School is in June 2019 near Boston, USA, but is currently fully booked). There is a thread on CGC elsewhere [somewhere] on delcamp.org. I have been a member of CGC for a little over 2 years. Cheers... Richard
Thanks for the suggestion! I looked into them just now and the pricing is not bad at all. About $50 a month. I'm impressed that there is grading and personal critiquing as well as legitimate lesson plans and courses. :merci:

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:45 pm

oc chuck wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:03 am
I'm sure you will get some good ideas from the more experienced guitarists
that post here. For now, I'd suggest you go to you tube, and enter
"classical guitar lessons for techniques" or similar.
There are a lot of lessons on technique and on popular pieces.

Good luck.
I'm new to the DelCamp community and do enjoy the forum as well as the free lessons here, but I'm very unorganized and can't quite keep up here on my own.

This place is more for in depth discussion and questions for me.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:58 pm

guitarist_le wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 am
So I've tried looking for a classical guitarist instructor in town and I found one but he's been a little flakey. Ive tried o line lessons through webcam.and they end up being more of a conversation instead of actual lessons.

Ive learned a lot on my own and think Elite Guitarist might be the right path to keep me in the right direction. Im 26 and have been playing classical for 3 years.

Has anyone tried Elite Guitarist and what are your opinions? Any other online courses you would recommend? Tavi and Taso rock and Im a big gan of their playing which is why Im leaning towards EG.
So you are a self-taught classical guitarist and kind of "plateau" out after 3 years?

Short answer as you took online lessons before, why not take another chance with Elite Guitarist? As for "commitment" I thought there are no commitment, either when you take a monthly subscription (obviously) or a yearly one, as I was told (by email) that even with the yearly commitment, you can opt out after the first month (but I don't know the exact terms and conditions, you could follow up with them?).

I have a vested interest too with EG, contemplating take lessons with them, but my irregular (free time) schedule is limited. That said, when I watched and learned from the limited tutorial (part 1) on F Sor Study No 5 in B minor, I thought Taso did a great job! Since the (Sor's) score is in the public domain (readily available), I tried the first part up to measure 16. Thus I really appreciate his instructions on the techniques (fingering) and philosophy (stress on the melody vs accompaniment).

Particularly in the 8th measure, instead of the standard Bm chord with LH 1 1 2 1 3 2 (barre at 2nd fret), Taso used 1 2 3 2 4 (in succession) then 3, so that in measure 9, the 2nd finger from C# can smoothly glide to D, resuming the Bm chord without much effort! :okok:

When I can find time in my schedule, I'll definitely sign up with EG.

Long answer? You may want to revisit your learning strategy, and if you consider yourself beyond the Solo Guitar Playing (book by F. Noad), then certain progressive studies would help further your self training, e.g. I like this one from Aguado's New Guitar Method (Tecla edition) as mentioned in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121315

Enjoy!

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:53 pm

dta721 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:58 pm
guitarist_le wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 am

So you are a self-taught classical guitarist and kind of "plateau" out after 3 years?

Short answer as you took online lessons before, why not take another chance with Elite Guitarist? As for "commitment" I thought there are no commitment, either when you take a monthly subscription (obviously) or a yearly one, as I was told (by email) that even with the yearly commitment, you can opt out after the first month (but I don't know the exact terms and conditions, you could follow up with them?).

I have a vested interest too with EG, contemplating take lessons with them, but my irregular (free time) schedule is limited. That said, when I watched and learned from the limited tutorial (part 1) on F Sor Study No 5 in B minor, I thought Taso did a great job! Since the (Sor's) score is in the public domain (readily available), I tried the first part up to measure 16. Thus I really appreciate his instructions on the techniques (fingering) and philosophy (stress on the melody vs accompaniment).

Particularly in the 8th measure, instead of the standard Bm chord with LH 1 1 2 1 3 2 (barre at 2nd fret), Taso used 1 2 3 2 4 (in succession) then 3, so that in measure 9, the 2nd finger from C# can smoothly glide to D, resuming the Bm chord without much effort! :okok:

When I can find time in my schedule, I'll definitely sign up with EG.

Long answer? You may want to revisit your learning strategy, and if you consider yourself beyond the Solo Guitar Playing (book by F. Noad), then certain progressive studies would help further your self training, e.g. I like this one from Aguado's New Guitar Method (Tecla edition) as mentioned in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121315

Enjoy!
Thanks for the input DTA! I actually found an instructor yesterday and signed up for lessons.

Tavi Jinariu

Post by Tavi Jinariu » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:41 am

Hi guys,
Congrats on finding your instructor. We would, of course, love to have you be part of the community at EliteGuitarist. Our monthly subscription is $29 and you can cancel at any time after the first month. This gives you unlimited access to the entire library of resources. If your goal is to play repertoire as soon as possible, I think our tutorials are excellent in that stage of new piece acquisition. Let me know if you have any other specific questions. You could also go to YouTube and check out our channel. We have a specific playlist highlight our students' performances of pieces they learned on EliteGuitarist.

Cheers!

Tavi
Life is too short to play music you don't really like!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”